Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the correct forum for this question, since it does concern a 98.
Pics. posted by sja on WTS/WTT forum under Yugo pics., page 5, halfway down page, edited 01-01-09. ( 3 pics of rework 98.)
Rifle in question is a Yugo rework 98. Pics. show a lug thru the stock just to the rear of the bolt handle cutout. I have looked in Ball and Law's books and so far haven't found a picture of a rifle with a lug in this position.
Can anyone shed any light on this ?

BTW...have contacted seller to meet, but forgot to ask about this.

Thanks,
gunshy

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
At one time I was able to view/handle 70 Yugo "capture" stocks and saw perhaps 10 or more that had a second recoil lug bolt added behind the rear action screw area.
Most of those with the extra bolt had aready cracked down the middle or were white glue stocks that were beginning to de-laminate, so I surmise the second bolts were installed to prevent the stocks from opening up like a clamshell.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
As chase mentioned these extra cross bolts are seen on Yugo rebuilds. They are also seen on Soviet Rebuilds. I have seen single extra lugs as well as double extra lugs in this location. Have even seen them on the extreme rear heel of a Soviet rebuild. All extra lugs are post war.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It is a wrist strengthener. A fair amount of East Bloc laminated stock refurbs will show that (notably SKS's, along with some 91/59s with the light blond stock replacements).

·
Registered
644 Posts
Three

I have seen as many as three cross bolts through the wrist. This was a typical RC way to reclaim cracked stocks that had split in the action area and behind the wrist.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all.

That's what I love about GB's, you learn something new all the time, and shared freely I might add.

gunshy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts