Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Len S
Posted - 09/04/2003 : 12:21:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I picked up this 7.35 M38 yesterday and I have a a few questions concerning the serial #. There's a three digit # located on the left side of the barrel the lower third of which is below the wood line. This lower part has been over stamped with an oval house of Savoy cartouche making the numbers illegible. The top of the barrel is marked with a crown & "RE / TERNI". The right side of the barrel is dated "1940 XVIII". The stock is marked with the Fabrica Terni cartouche dated "1941 XIX" & ser #'d "BN 2247". Are the obscured numbers the serial # or something else?
The rifle came with an Finn SA marked sling but the rifle itself lacks any Finnish markings. Does a 1941 dated stock preclude use by the Finns?

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Len S/200394121837_m38a.jpg
Download Attachment:
42.45 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Len S/20039412201_m38b.jpg
Download Attachment:
34.62 KB

TP
Posted - 09/04/2003 : 12:59:48 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Len, you've been busy as usual! I also saw your recent posts on the BCN Forum this morning and the bayos you illustrated there are gorgeous, keep up the good work. Getting to the Finn marked sling on your Carcano, Springfield Sporters had a large number of "SA" marked Carcano slings for sale at $5 each starting back in the early 1990's and they are quite common on all Italian rifles, even those that never saw Finland. It is possible that your sling came from that lot.

Franchi
Posted - 09/07/2003 : 6:36:59 PM
Your rifle has an earlier re-claimed barrel, this is common on 7.35 rifles. The odd numbers are the old date, serial, and manufacturer. The "new" serial should be on the barrel at the left stock line, but by your photo your rifle doesn't have one? The serial on the stock is in the range of 6.5 cal. M38 short rifles. Is the rear sight marked CAL. 7,35? It is not Finnish issue. David Franchi

Len S
Posted - 09/07/2003 : 8:11:54 PM
Thanks for the info. The sight is marked "CAL.7.35" but there is no other serial number on the barrel besides the defaced one.

woodyfrmtx
1 Posts
Posted - 05/17/2004 : 6:33:02 PM
Hi Len, my name is Woody and I am from south texas. I too just came by the same rifle but mine is dated 1939. Also I have a serial number on left side of barrel but it is very legible, not wore down. I am missing some parts though i believe. Inside the bottom chamber there is a spring clip and then there is a 3 sided metal clip type that i am not sure how that works, no cover for the bottom and this piece just falls out. I have fired the gun and it shoots beautifully. Please refer me to anywhere i can find parts for it.

kywoodwrkr
Posted - 05/18/2004 : 5:04:09 PM
woody,
Pardon my interruption here.
The three sided clip/en bloc, as you describe it is to hold six rounds of ammunition. This is then inserted into the 'magazine well' where the spring operated arm forces the cartridges up as each before them are stripped by the bolt into the chamber.
when the last cartridge is stripped out of the clip/en bloc it drops out the bottom.
KEEP IT! You will need it and maybe a couple more if you shoot much.:)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts