Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've been looking to buy my first Krag, and have noticed at least two Krags which have an "H.H." cartouche on the left hand side (also accompanied by a cannon cartouche). One of the H.H. Krags is from an auction (a 1902) and the other (a 1898) from surplusrifle.com. The pics are included.

I haven't been able to find any information about what these cartouches could mean. And since the same cartouche is on at least two different rifles, it probably isn't somebody's initials. Might anyone by chance know what it means?

Also, I'm just curious.... were any Krags "arsenal reblued"? My gut instinct tells me no, although I've seen some advertised as such where the bluing looks too good to be original. The hardest thing about buying a Krag for me is the bluing -- it's darn near impossible to find anything that still has any!

Many thanks
cartoonist

(PS - this is also posted on the new Krag forum, but it might take a bit of time before people begin to use it)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Krag Cartouch

I am not an expert, so disregard this if you like. The H.H. does not appear to be a US military cartouche, but a property mark of some kind that was applied after the guns were released as surplus. The cartouche on the gun pictured is quite strong andthe stock appears to be unmolested. Krags were definitley re finished and re built at the arsenals, An original receiver should have a smoky If the receiver is blued, there is a good chance the gun was refinished. At least it is not chromed. Regards RETREAD

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I also tend to enjoy US Krag sporters. Most of mine acquired some 20-30 years ago. Days as yet bargains & quite inexpensive, "shooters". Only as ammo nowadays distinct downside. Scarce & not really 'affordable' in most contexts nowadays! Most of these sporters following similar KISS patterns; minor creativity differences and equipment, keep them 'individual' and interesting! I enjoy contemplating these as enabling a lot of folks otherwise economically denied gun ownership.

Here's to those bit humble, but happily functional and 'fun' US Krag sporters!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts