1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
WOW!!! on the Type 19 North China. I've never owned one but have handled the two variations in a collection. The Seller described finish as nickel but I think it looks more like someone took all the original finish off with a fine wire brush and left it "in the white".

About 22 YEARS AGO a small time traveling dealer at an Austin gun show put a Type 19 out on his table and listed it for the going price of a Type 14 (maybe $275 -325)! He didn't have a clue as to what it was. The guy who bought it was a Banzai member and a WWII USMC "Raider" veteran named Trent Fowler. Trent had the character fitting for the title of "the greatest generation" and told guy what it really was and gave the guy $1,000 instead of his asking price!

Trent joined the Marines early 1942 and was in the battle all along Bougainville and did landings on Guam, Tinian, Saipan and finally Okinawa. He was on Okinawa from the very first landing on April fools day (also Easter Sunday that year!) till the last of it 6 weeks later. On Okinawa alone he won at least one Bronze star with a V and, even as a lower enlisted rank, twice became the Platoon leader thru horrific combat attrition. He carried a BAR

The first time I met Trent was to sell him a large WWII Japanese flag I had bought back in highschool for $100 and he actually paid me more because he said my price was too low! Helluva man, miss his company dearly and his first hand accounts of living thru the hell that was Okinawa. His older brother enlisted in the marines in Dec '41 right after Pearl Harbor and was in the thick of it with the 1st Division on Guadalcanal but was KIA in the battle of Iwo Jima.

Attached a cool pic of Raiders on Bougainville at Cape Torokina in front of a Japanese dugout (he is NOT in it) with an interesting mix of 1903's, M1 Garands, M1 carbines and BARs.

Soldier Military organization People Infantry Army

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOW!!! on the Type 19 North China. I've never owned one but have handled the two variations in a collection. The Seller described finish as nickel but I think it looks more like someone took all the original finish off with a fine wire brush and left it "in the white".

About 22 YEARS AGO a small time traveling dealer at an Austin gun show put a Type 19 out on his table and listed it for the going price of a Type 14 (maybe $275 -325)! He didn't have a clue as to what it was. The guy who bought it was a Banzai member and a WWII USMC "Raider" veteran named Trent Fowler. Trent had the character fitting for the title of "the greatest generation" and told guy what it really was and gave the guy $1,000 instead of his asking price!

Trent joined the Marines early 1942 and was in the battle all along Bougainville and on landings on Guam, Tinian, Saipan and finally Okinawa. He was on Okinawa from the very first landing on April fools day (also Easter Sunday that year!) till the last of it 6 weeks later. On Okinawa alone he won at least one Bronze star with a V and, as a lower enlisted man, twice became the Platoon leader thru horrific combat attrition. He carried a BAR

The first time I met Trent was to sell him a large WWII Japanese flag I had bought back in highschool for $100 and he actually paid me more because he said my price was too low! Helluva man, miss his company dearly and his first hand accounts of living thru the hell that was Okinawa. His older brother enlisted in the marines in Dec '41 right after Pearl Harbor and was in the 1st Division on Guadalcanal but died on Iwo Jima.

Attached a cool pic of Raiders on Bougainville at Cape Torokina in front of a Japanese dugout (he is NOT in it) with an interesting mix of 1903's, M1 Garands, M1 carbines and BARs.

View attachment 1932273
Those Marines in the Pacific had some huge balls! Got to love em. Semper Fi Brothers

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Six/Five Infantry Rifle cut down to carbine length. This one was listed a few times before it sold.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/616668787
I was intrigued enough on that one to send a PM to Mr. Allan to ask a few questions. I just couldn't get past the cracked/repaired stock, safety not working, re-chambered to 7.62, no reply to my question whether or not it had an import mark, and not knowing if it was matching or not....but still nearly hit the bid button just to have an example of a cut down rifle to carbine length, even thought it was a Chinese copy of the Arisaka. Mr. Allan indicated the Chinese cavalry carbines don't show up often. I took the $ I would have spent on it and put it towards a S&W Model 66 in order to get an example of one of my first duty guns....now to find a set of late 80's/early 90's S&W wood combat grips for the pistol.....

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,746 Posts
The round tubes on the Marine's back pack are rifle Grenades, popular with all WWII era Marines. In close fighting better than mortars. I also see a Thompson Muzzle Break at the top of the picture. Great picture, thanks for posting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.