Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on this one? Has the divider in the pouches for a stripper clip BUT has the very robust clasp bolted to a standard belt.

I see the square nuts so figure it has some age but for what purpose? IF the consensus is that bubba put it on I will simply remove.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
It’s definitely been modified, the main clasp in front looks it’s from a seatbelt harness used in auto racing. I put a four point harness on my grandsons gokart years ago. The “lift on the dot” clasps on the ammunition pockets was a modification by the military prior to WWII and continued to be use on the web belt until the M1 Garands we’re finally taken completely out of service. The individual pockets were designed to hold two five round stripper clips or one 8 round enbloc clip.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a racing harness buckle, very robust.

Thinking I may just unbolt it an throw the extra buckle out, the belt and original closure buckle looks to be fine.

Thanks,
jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
It looks to me like the lug on the male part of the old buckle (directly under the locking lever of the added-on buckle portion, photo #2) has been ground away. THAT will be a problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Even if you had a replacement buckle half, the way it is sewn into the belt would make it expensive and time-consuming to replace, I'm afraid. Did you buy this?

·
Registered
417 Posts
The latch assembly is for an aircraft seat belt. I'm not sure when it was first used, but from WWII & still in use today. I've been strapped in by that quite a few times: P-51, B-17, B-25, C-130, C-141, KC-135, UH-1, UH-60.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think of this, but I have a Flight Engineer's seat from a KC-97 tanker. Same seat belt. I doubt it was done in the military, far easier to get a new cartridge belt from the Supply Sergeant.

Shelf Motor vehicle Bookcase Wood Textile

1 - 10 of 10 Posts