Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I picked up 16 pieces of once fired 7.5x55mm brass for my Swiss rifle at a local gun show last weekend. I paid 20 cents a piece for the brass. I have a G96/11 Swiss rifle I've had for at least 25 years and have never fired it. According to the serial number it was built in 1898. I plan to get a set of dies for reloading the cases I bought and I'll keep on the look out for more cases. I've recently read where the G96/11 rifles are very accurate and relatively only a few thousand were produced. Do you know anything about these rifles ?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
. . . I've recently read where the G96/11 rifles are very accurate and relatively only a few thousand were produced. . .
Nearly 136,000 military-series Model 96 rifles were converted to 96/11's. Does that count as "a few"?

Table of conversions by year.
"These rifles retain the numbers of the Model 1896 rifles from which they were modified."

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Para ---- Yes 136,000 are not a few. My G96/11 was produced in 1898 according to its serial number. According to your list of pieces modified from 1912 to 1920, with the greatest number modified in 1914 (51,000). My rifle having been built in 1898 I don't believe it was a modified rifle. I guess my question would be, how many actual G96/11 rifles were actually produce as such compared to the 136,000 rifles that were modified to that configuration? I'll bet there were a lot fewer actual G96/11 rifles originally built as such than were modified to the 96/11 model from some other Swiss rifle model.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
OK, I'm not trying to argue with any of you guys who know a lot more about the piece than I do. My G96/11 is the only Swiss weapon I have and as I mentioned I have never fired it in the 25+ years I've had it. I suppose I haven't handled it except about once a year when I dig it out of its case to check for any rust or signs of moisture. I'll get a set of dies, load up a few rounds using the 16 cases I picked up at the last gun show I attended and see how the old Swiss Miss does its thing.
I visited Switzerland several times while living in Germany. There were a few museums where I enjoyed spending a full day looking at beautiful old stuff, especially their weapons. I got acquainted with a couple older guys (about my age) who really enjoyed "talking guns". I told them what I have back in the states and they hauled out some of their pieces and actually allowed me to pick them up and handle a few. To me that was a REAL experience.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
No problemo, Old Timer. You are all right. You have a very nice Swiss Miss there. Nothing rare or special, but a dam fine piece of machinery and precise craftsmanship from days long gone. Get some common powder like 4895, 3031, 4064, 4350 etc, any boat tail .30 cal bullet around 175 gr. and give it a go. Aim about 6 inches below the bull at a 100 and have a good time, don't overthink this one.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just to be clear, "96/11" means Model 1896 converted to 1911 configuration. This involved replacing barrel, magazine, sights, and a few more bits - plus modifying the woodwork with grafted pistol grip and some minor grafts to fill gaps. As mentioned earlier, "These rifles retain the numbers of the Model 1896 rifles from which they were modified."
Serial tables indicate 137050 military Model 1896's were produced, leaving very few unmodified. Most surviving original 96's are "private series" rifles - which escaped conversion because they were not in military inventory.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well Graf did have brass , because myself and others got ours. I bought two bags of 284 win to reform a few weeks back, and only one obscure dealer had them, there is a YT video on this process for those needing a primer in reforming 248 win to 7.5mm

in this environment you snooze, you lose

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Thanks guys for your remarks for making up 7.5mm brass from something else and looking for a bayonet for the Swiss rifle. I have 16 pieces of 7.5mm brass and I intend to locate a set of dies for reloading that brass. I found the once fired brass at a local gun show a couple weeks ago. I don't intend shooting the rifle very much so most likely the 16 pieces I now have will be enough to last me for awhile.
I like very much how the old Swiss Miss looks and its extremely smooth action. Can't tell I just might have to do a little local competition target work with it if it performs as good as it appears. There are some local guys in the Flathead Valley (about 100 miles distant) who like to get together and burn powder on nice weekends. I'd need more brass if that happens.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Swiss Prod. ------ Not quite in Kalispell but fairly close. I'm about 80 miles from Kalispell, tucked back in the mountains. Kalispell and the entire Flathead Valley is getting quite over crowded. I'm told last year (2020) almost 20,000 people moved into the valley (into Kalispell, Whitefish and Columbia Falls) and that many are expected to move in this year. Many folks believe Kalispell and Whitefish could grow together within 10 to 15 years from now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.