Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up, in Bossier. No cartouches, or repairs on the wood, and no "N" marking, on the receiver. Appears to be as issued. (Other than the mismatched bolt) But then, what do I know. That's why I'm here. Patrick, I tried reading the stikies, but my eyes started to cross. Sorry for the crappy pictures. What do I have?

Attachments

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,085 Posts
What you have is a Fusil de Infanterie Modèle Modifié 1916 ... Basically due to the lack of cartouche and the fact it has 1907-1915 markings on the receiver it probably was put together either during or after the war in in 1920. The lack on the N could mean it was sent to another country ??
What is the date on the barrel ? ... This will help to give us some more information

Patrick

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barrel markings:

Right side: MA S 1917

Left side: ST circle c, circle p over 1086

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Trenchwarfare:

1917 was a time of extremis. If the triggerguard matches it may have been originally built as a five shooter. It still would be referred to as an M.16, using the common convention; ATF not withstanding. The stock, as per above, is a replacement, as is the hand guard, lacking the serial number window.

We have had a few come through that were very similar. No 'window', no "N", reworked or replaced stocks, mis-matched bolt and the five round lower assembly. None looked to have been used in service following the rebuild. The only exceptions noted were the sticky band-keeper springs, (too much dried finish in the slots), and the flat/platform roller-follower spring which deformed because of improper temper.

You have a very sharp looking rifle. Better than any of our matchers from the Great War.

Below is a Chatellerault 1907-15 with the M.16 magazine extension, mis-matched bolt and no window in the hand guard. The barrel is an MPA 1917. The stock is a reworked replacement. [Sorry about the outsized picture]

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.