Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I’m new to this forum and im seeking further information in regards to an unmarked Mauser actioned rifles that is completely unmarked. This rifle only has serial numbers on it and does not have an manufacturer markings on it what so ever.... Been researching all the Mausers that were produced but have been unable to identify this particular rifle!? Hope yall can assist me with identifying it! Overall length is 41 3/8 IN

·
Registered
32 Posts
Original caliber would be 7x57mm, also known as 7mm Mauser. Some of these were later converted to .308.
These aren’t the most desirable models, but any matching or at least all-intact Mauser rifle seems to be relatively highly valued these days.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have one similar to this Spanish M1916 converted to .308, on the barrel there's an importer marking with CAI and "M1916 .308WIN" and on the left side of receiver ring, has "CAL7.62". Mine has Franco's Civil Guard marking on the receiver ring, all matching. I paid $270 at local gun show in Dec 2018. I saw non-marking ones asking for $300-$350 at gun shows in later times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one similar to this Spanish M1916 converted to .308, on the barrel there's an importer marking with CAI and "M1916 .308WIN" and on the left side of receiver ring, has "CAL7.62". Mine has Franco's Civil Guard marking on the receiver ring, all matching. I paid $270 at local gun show in Dec 2018. I saw non-marking ones asking for $300-$350 at gun shows in later times.
thanks for the info! i dont believe this one is .308 but will check with a dummy round to check and i havent purchased this rifle yet and i was figuring in that 300 range so that makes sense! thanks

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,914 Posts
Looks like an Oviedo 1916 Mauser. Nice little rifles. Small word of caution. If you find it was converted to 7.62 Nato then that is what the pressure level would be. Similar to the original 7mm mauser chambering. If you buy factory ammo in .308 stick with the run of the mill Remington etc. Don't go for the hot rod stuff. If you reload then turn to the 300 savage information and load away. That will give you more than enough cartridge and remove any doubt or just stay at the beginning levels for the 308. More than enough gumption for a hunting rifle or banging away rifle. If it is 7mm then you are good to go. Have at it and I should mention that the original 7mm's will command a bit more money. They are kind of nice little rifles. I like mine and I have had it for quite a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like an Oviedo 1916 Mauser. Nice little rifles. Small word of caution. If you find it was converted to 7.62 Nato then that is what the pressure level would be. Similar to the original 7mm mauser chambering. If you buy factory ammo in .308 stick with the run of the mill Remington etc. Don't go for the hot rod stuff. If you reload then turn to the 300 savage information and load away. That will give you more than enough cartridge and remove any doubt or just stay at the beginning levels for the 308. More than enough gumption for a hunting rifle or banging away rifle. If it is 7mm then you are good to go. Have at it and I should mention that the original 7mm's will command a bit more money. They are kind of nice little rifles. I like mine and I have had it for quite a while.
good info thank you, its a family friends and im looking to purchase it, he bought it 35 years ago and never did anything with it. I was thinkin in the 300 dollar ball park

·
Registered
465 Posts
1916 is the model, not the year. The year could be anywhere from 1916 to, I forget, the 30's some time. Almost certainly still 7x57. Note that the bottom metal is not original. They didn't come with a magazine floorplate release like that. Three hundred? I dunno. $200, yeah, if it doesn't shoot keyholes, $200 would be a fair trade price. $250 if you were trying to give them a break.

The "don't shoot the 308's with full power ammo" is not based on solid data. The Spanish did. The 7x57 and 308 have about the same pressure. Regardless, that one looks 7mm to me. Try putting a 30 caliber bullet down the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
please check out Fritz' Spanish Mauser homepages: Oviedo1916
Your magazine floorplate is correct for that model, but quite rare; i've got the same (or similar) on my own Spanish M16, an 1923-made 'I' -series. That will increase the value...Is there any serial# on the floorplate?

Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for correcting me, bagiman. I've never seen one like that. The value goes up accordingly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your magazine floorplate is correct for that model, but quite rare; i've got the same (or similar) on my own Spanish M16, an 1923-made 'I' -series. That will increase the value...Is there any serial# on the floorplate?

Chris
ill check out the floorplate when i get home and let ya know!

Chris
thanks chris, any idea how to date my rifle? and what its actually worth?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Floorplate serial number does not match receivers number... floorplate is J 5115. Serial number on side of receivee is 4179 with no letters

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
My understanding of these unmarked 1916's is that they are built from previously made M1916's, and M1893 rifles rebuilt as M1916 pattern and scrubbed of previous markings and renumbered. Is it known that parts were mixed at the time of rebuild? It would seem to be a possibility. Here is the link on these from the Spanish Mauser website.... Unmarked1916

1 - 16 of 16 Posts