Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm at my local shop today and almost passed by a K98. I picked it up and looked at it and it appears to be a bolt m/m K98 mauser. It has a stock with the solid butt plate. Rifle matches and the bolt matches to itself but not the rifle. They were selling this thing for 199.00.

So, I looked at the receiver and where the year and factory marking would be (like byf 42) it was blank. It did not look like anything had been ground off and there was nothing that seemed unusual about it other than that.

It also had the old style bird and not the bird with the wings extended.

I can't pick it up until 2/22 so I'll post up pics then.

Did they make a K98 without the arsenal and year marking?

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
As always, pictures will help greatly in getting the answer you want. On the other hand it is hard to go wrong with a $199 Kar.98k. The parts tend to be worth that or more, particularly if they are non-import type parts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As always, pictures will help greatly in getting the answer you want. On the other hand it is hard to go wrong with a $199 Kar.98k. The parts tend to be worth that or more, particularly if they are non-import type parts.
Exactly, I would have picked it up at that price.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Good find. It's a well known variant of the e serial block depot/facility assembled LZA4 (LuftZeugAmt 4). These e block rifles turn up with receivers in blank like this, bsw 1939, recycled Gew.98. You won't find any stock inspections other than the serial on the exterior in the usual place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What you have is a depot gun assembled for the luftwaffe. Most seem to be assembled from armorers or salvaged parts including receivers and most seem to be in the "e" block. I have two, one sports a bsw 1939 receiver, the other is a borsigwalde 243 1940 but with a different numbered Luftampt. Like your both have armorer numbered parts and RU stamped barrrels. Your triggerguard is a very rare Lubecker made armorers part, first one I've seen. In my opinion it's a very collectible piece so I would refrain from parting it out. Good catch.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
What you have is a depot gun assembled for the luftwaffe. Most seem to be assembled from armorers or salvaged parts including receivers and most seem to be in the "e" block. I have two, one sports a bsw 1939 receiver, the other is a borsigwalde 243 1940 but with a different numbered Luftampt. Like your both have armorer numbered parts and RU stamped barrrels. Your triggerguard is a very rare Lubecker made armorers part, first one I've seen. In my opinion it's a very collectible piece so I would refrain from parting it out. Good catch.
+1 A nice rifle, and worth way more than the 199 you scored it for!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.