Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased two of these last week.
I can not find the Manuf. name anywhere.
They are chambered in 8mm.
Very nice rifles. Can anyone shed some light on the origin ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Unknown maker rifle

It is a German "guild gun". They were made on surplus military actions by any number of rifle builders between the wars. The guild set standards and the builders had to conform to them. Only the most famous of the rifle smiths put their names on them.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Deacon,

Could we get a better picture of the scope mount?

You can check on the auction sites for verification but I rarely see these top $500.00 unless they have set triggers, scopes, bullet trap and "extras" that put them out of the ordinary guild rifle. Saying that, your rifle looks really really nice. The HEX barrel and 2 leaf sight are a plus. The date of manufacture is found on the bottom of the barrel by the action if you are interested.

Again, nice find.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice piece of work, upper shelf guild rifles in good shape like this one are always good scores. Hard to find the makers, I've one similar purchased fifteen years ago and I still have no idea where or when it was manufactured. The only numbers I can find on steel are 077 and the only other markings are two very small crowns. A fine shooting mystery that has slain several wild boar and a couple of blacktails since it became mine. I always keep my eyes out for another.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Slug the bores - depending on when they were made, that "8mm" could be a .318 bore - which would be emotionally significant, if you used European commercial 7.92 hunting ammunition.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, I slugged mine before shooting, even though the 'smith that sold it told me he shot WW 8MM Mauser ammo though it and he even tossed five boxes of the stuff into the deal. It did slug .323". I promptly pulled all the bullets just to get the cases to reload. The American manufactured 8X57MM is anemically charged and the bullets (nominal .320" OD) aren't worth squat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts