Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this Black Powder Remington 1858 Revolver at an Auction. There are no manufacturers or proof markings on it. The Navy Arms logo and Black Power - made in Italy - .44 Cal. are stamped top and side of barrel. There is a three digit number and marking (maybe FAP) on the frame under the left grip panel. there appears to be a number 2??? on bottom barrel. The cylinder measures 2.020" front to back and the barrel is screwed in leaving four threads exposed at cylinder discharge. Anyone have the same Pistol ? I have a feeling this dates back at least 25 years.

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the only Navy Arms Italian manufacture i am aware of it. It may just be an old import.. they have been importing them for decades from what i understand.

EDIT-

Found out for you.. FAP designates that it is made by Pietta. Probably imported in the 1970s.

http://www.pietta.us/products/

Thanks for your Help. I appreciate the Information. The lack of Proofs may indicate a Kit Gun that was assembled in the U.S.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
A gentleman on another forum contacted navy arms with almost the exact question. This is what navy arms said:

Unfortunately we cannot provide you with any information via the serial number as the gun was sold by the original NJ office of Navy Arms. Their old log books are with the BATFE.

However, please look for the following markings to identify the manufacturer:

U inside of an octagon - Uberti
<fap> - Pietta
Palm Tree - Palmetto Arms
ASM - Armi San Marco

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A gentleman on another forum contacted navy arms with almost the exact question. This is what navy arms said:

Unfortunately we cannot provide you with any information via the serial number as the gun was sold by the original NJ office of Navy Arms. Their old log books are with the BATFE.

However, please look for the following markings to identify the manufacturer:

U inside of an octagon - Uberti
<fap> - Pietta
Palm Tree - Palmetto Arms
ASM - Armi San Marco

Again Thank You. Four Manufacturers supplied Navy Arms I guess.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Again Thank You. Four Manufacturers supplied Navy Arms I guess.
You are very welcome. I just won an auction yesterday for my first navy arms. A 1873 Model Lever in 44-40. Luckily its a 1980-90s import and is marked Uberti - Made in italy; so there wasn't too much of a mystery :)

But sometimes finding the harder details about a firearm is part of the fun.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,636 Posts
I consider Pietta equal to a Uberti, at least these days.
Weeeeelll, maybe sort'a kind'a equal-ish. Both use state-of-the art machining methods today, which makes them on par with each other, as opposed to 35 years ago when Uberti held the edge in craftsmanship.

Of all my newer cap & ball revolvers, I've found them both to be above average quality, compared to models made in the 60-70's. A couple of Piettas needed a little cylinder bolt hand fitting to make them butter smooth nd to index perfectly. IMO, Uberti holds the edge for better quality wood finish.

My only complete loser is an Uberti 1862 Colt that had major problems with wedge fit, and nipple dimensions that required replacement in order to even fire. It will need a MUCH taller sight to even print on paper, and, although a fine looking and feeling revolver, is relegated to the back shelf until I either die of old age, or get around to working on it. It is the only true loser of all the ervolvers I've ever owned. While it is nicely finished, it is also poorly fit.

Given a preference without regard to price, I prefer the Uberti method of stamp clutter ('black powder only' and 'Made In Italy') placed on the barrel under the loading lever, out of immediate view.

·
Registered
877 Posts
"DGG" indicates that the gun was made at Armi San Paolo, just outside of Brescia, Italy. I should know because I visited Armi San Paolo in 1976. This was also where the replica Rogers & Spencers, Colts and Remmies were made that sold under the Euroarms and Lyman brand names!

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congratulations, I would love a Uberti.
Since my earlier Post I have purchased two Uberti's. One a Remington Model 1858 and the other a Model 1851 Navy with the "Replica Arms Marietta Ohio" Logo on top the barrel. This one is like new - 100% Blue with no signs of ever being fired. The Cylinder has no drag marks. Manufacturing date is 1965. Replica Arms was bought out by Navy Arms in the early 1970's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts