Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Savage (USA) produced No.4 Mk1* that went to England and went though a FTR (Factory Through Refurbishment) before being sold out of service. British Nitro Proof. BSW 4 53 is something unknown to me. 75C serial is I think 43 production, but I'm not 100% on that.

The furniture seems to be a replacement, minus maybe the handguards. The black peeling paint on the metal is British Suncorite, not something original to Savage. Probably applied in the FTR process. The made in USA stamp is something new to me as well, so maybe an older import, pre 68? Interesting that it retained the simplified milled sight after FTR, as many were replaced with a micrometer sight, or at least the stamped adjustable sight.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Savage (USA) produced No.4 Mk1* that went to England and went though a FTR (Factory Through Refurbishment) before being sold out of service. British Nitro Proof. BSW 4 53 is something unknown to me. 75C serial is I think 43 production, but I'm not 100% on that.

The furniture seems to be a replacement, minus maybe the handguards. The black peeling paint on the metal is British Suncorite, not something original to Savage. Probably applied in the FTR process. The made in USA stamp is something new to me as well, so maybe an older import, pre 68? Interesting that it retained the simplified milled sight after FTR, as many were replaced with a micrometer sight, or at least the stamped adjustable sight.
Really appreciate the info! I’m curious about the marks on the stock but perhaps we’ll never know.

· Administrator
10,398 Posts
Birmingham Nitro Proof when sold to " Trade" ( most likely Cogswell & Harrington, UK Gunmakers ownd by Sam Cummings Interarmco to be able to bid on 1959 Sale of LE all models ( over 1 mill. Examples)
"C" in Serial signifies "Chicopee Falls" site of Steven-Savage Factory.
( "L" signified Long Branch Canada, Gov't Arsenal)

DocAV

· Registered
5,505 Posts
Stock markings:

FTR= Factory Thorough Repair

(Buttstock)- BW/S4= Base workshops, southern command

53, most likely the overhaul date

Could it be ................

BWS = Base Workshop South
4-53 = April '53

Mine was done at 34 BWC (34th Base Workshop Catterick) in 8-68 (August '68)

Wood Rectangle Table Tree Varnish

· Registered
22,086 Posts
I'd have bought it , Suncorite alone signals post war FTR since Savage did not use this paint on its rifles. Never seen Made in USA but agree its a pre 68 rifle. FTR on wood has me stumped. All matching # and Suncorite trumps everything for me.

· Registered
EVERY MILSURP TELLS A STORY
414 Posts
I'd have bought it , Suncorite alone signals post war FTR since Savage did not use this paint on its rifles. Never seen Made in USA but agree its a pre 68 rifle. FTR on wood has me stumped. All matching # and Suncorite trumps everything for me.
My Savage has black paint but no FTR code. What was the finish when a #4 left the Savage factory? Thanks. Jeff

· Registered
5,505 Posts
And, do we know where / when that was FTR'd ? (if it was).
Is the metal work showing FTR as well ?

Could it be (speculation) that units marked the rifles 'needing' FTR by paint and it was subsequently marked in the normal way and the paint removed, or, was it sold out of servic, it never got its FTR and the FTR paint never removed ?

Is there any obvious signs of an FTR having been done (later dated barrels, MK2 trigger etc etc) ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts