Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody, new pointy things for me. At the Syracuse show this past weekend there was a loooong Gew98 sword bayonet. It was pitted overall, with a dark patina, and had obviously had the edge worked on, but it looked like long ago. For some mysterious reason it spoke to me. Probably the $50 pricetag.

I knew and know enough that sharpen cuts value, no pun intended, but I figured fifty bucks couldn't hurt. Thirty-five and under is the "buy-unconditionally" rule of mine for purchasing WW1 or WW2 cultery, so for the added fifteen it seemed a no brainer.

I didn't really look at it too closely for maker or date oranything, mostly just checked overall that there was nothing obviously horribly wrong with it. I have a couple Butcher Blades, so figured a nice long one would fit in fine, especially for cheap.

Well, turns out about three tables down was Leonard The Bayonet Guy, fixture of the Syracuse shows. I grabbed it back from my buddy Ben, who'd been using it to get into a bag of Peanut M&Ms he'd gotten at the Support Youth Smallbore snack fundraiser table and let Leo have a look. He immediately exclaimed it was unit marked, and I'd done good, confirming my feeling about it being a good purchase.

Now that I've pawed it over and had a good look at it (detailed examining of two feet of pointy sharp steel in a crowded gunshow being not advised), it is as follows:

WK & C Solingen maker (Weyersburg, Kirschbaum & Co, right?), 07W on spine (prewar!), and the patina uniform and quite pleasingly mix of dull bluing faded into old oxidized steel.

Regimentally marked on the quillon "90. R. 3. 85.", which I take means it was issued to the Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Füsilier-Regiment according to the http://home.comcast.net/~lcviser/rgtsinf.htm website. Did this regiment see any specifically important battles, and where can I learn more about their service?

The pitting is fairly extensive toward the tip, but even the sharpened edge has pits, leading me to believe that it was sharpened during wartime, as the pitting is pretty obviously due to corrosive ammo being fired with the bayonet fixed.

There's also evidence of a few droplets of something on the blade that protected it from corrosion or rinsed off the residue, which I assume means either candle wax, blood, or water. An interesting thing, whatever caused it.

Anything more anybody can tell me about it, I'd appreciate.

All in all I think it was fifty bucks well spent. If nothing else it opens M&Ms bags pretty good and makes a very satisfying swishing noise when swung.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,650 Posts
Quillback

That's in pretty good shape for a $50 quillback. A steal even, I'd say. You should try the WWI forum with the unit question.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts