Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always been a fan of trying to display what you have or at least favorite pieces but that always seems to end in a space issue. As our collections grow over the years the space becomes a premium. So I finally succumbed to removing the mannequins or the torso forms and put away the uniforms. I used to lay them flat on a shelving unit when hanging them up became an issue . So 4 levels high it fit but was not optimal. I stumbled across the vacuum shrink seal bags at Costco last week and thought hey thats the idea. So I shrink wrapped my uniforms and clothing. Two benefits- no bugs if you have them in your area and you create 400% more space. This shelving unit used to hold about 40 uniforms and clothing items and now holds over 100 items all shrunk wrap, waterproof and protected. Doesn't look the best but sure made the space more efficient.

Plastic Collection Display case Drawer Plastic bag

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
That is pretty cool Vic. That will not damage them will it? I'm no clothes expert but I was thinking along the lines of permanent wrinkles.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,907 Posts
Hello Gents,

With the age of surviving WWI uniforms either approaching or have already past the 100 year mark, I never fold anything that I store. The best alternative IMHO are the storage bins designed for clothing. There are a variety of designs and sizes produced and the large "under the bed" sizes can be used to stores multiple greatcoats without a single fold. They can be sealed tight with the proper tape and with cedar blocks inside rather than mothballs. I hate the smell of mothballs!

There are smaller sizes that are perfect for tunics and trousers as well. While this approach will never save the amount of space that Vic has enjoyed with the shrink wrap approach, I do sleep comfortably at night in the knowledge that anything that it not on display is sealed tight, protected from moths and direct light of any kind.

DON'T use the clear plastic bins for uniforms unless you store the bins in a dark place. The single worst cause of damage of uniforms over time is the fading of colors caused by direct or indirect sunlight. The Museum remains as black as night 100% of the time with the only exceptions being if I am working in or guiding a tour of the Collection.

However, you have to accommodate your approach to the amount of space you have to work with combined with the total number of uniform items in the collection. Vic's approach is excellent if your space is limited. Based on your photo Vic, it doesn't look like light will be an issue if it's a general storage area. I'm assuming that the area is dark most of the time.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
John the vault is dark except when I'm in it. I don't think any insect could survive the lack of air so that's not a worry for me. Also I don't have a moth issue so it's extra protection more so against accidental damage. I did not do greatcoats or winter heavy coats as those are hung. My uniform examples exceed 100 pieces in summer and winter types for both Finnish and Russian examples and the vac seal bags worked out wonderfully. I was able to consolidate 3 areas into one central storage.

·
Gold Bullet with Oak clusters member
1,466 Posts
John the vault is dark except when I'm in it. I don't think any insect could survive the lack of air so that's not a worry for me. Also I don't have a month issue so it's extra protection more so against accidental damage. I did not do greatcoats or winter heavy coats as those are hung. My uniform examples exceed 100 pieces in summer and winter types for both Finnish and Russian examples and the vac seal bags worked out wonderfully. I was able to consolidate 3 areas into one central storage.
Vic, you have an added advantage, cold weather. Down here we have a vast array of insects to deal with ten months out of the year. You can pile wood on the ground and practically watch it disappear.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very true-

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,907 Posts
John the vault is dark except when I'm in it. I don't think any insect could survive the lack of air so that's not a worry for me. Also I don't have a moth issue so it's extra protection more so against accidental damage. I did not do greatcoats or winter heavy coats as those are hung. My uniform examples exceed 100 pieces in summer and winter types for both Finnish and Russian examples and the vac seal bags worked out wonderfully. I was able to consolidate 3 areas into one central storage.
Hi Vic,

Excellent Bud! I knew you had a large collection, however I never realized that you had a uniform collection that large. You're spot on with the total darkness. Sounds like you have an excellent arrangement. My collection has always been based in a single location and I've had the benefit to have enough space to accommodate 30 mannequin displays, which has greatly reduced the number of items I have ever had to store. I would love to see your collection one of these days, particularly on a reciprocal basis! ;>)

I'll check out the vacuum seal storage bags in the event that I don't have as much space to work with in our next home.

Too cool Bud! Always a pleasure Vic.

Happy Easter,

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.