Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

8,113 Posts
One thing for you to consider DocHawk, your term "rifled musket" is wrong for this gun, it is a rifle, pure and simple. The rifled musket was a military smoothbore musket that was modified by rifling it's smooth bore.

That being said, I'm certainly no expert on European civilian firearms of the percussion period, but my best guess - and it may be wrong - is that it is Swiss.

Or, it could be from one of the states that became Germany.

It may even be Czech, I honestly don't know, I will have to stick by Swiss until someone more knowledgeable comes along with the answer you are looking for. Are there any markings on the barrel saying what city t was made in or a maker's name? Probably not, I'm sure you would have posted pictures if there were, just had to ask.

Thanks for showing it to us Doc, wish I could have been more helpful, it is a beauty and I do hope someone comes along with information for you. Maybe Joe is out there somewhere?

8,113 Posts
The emblem does not match any of the Swiss Cantonal coats of arms.
Good information Tac, but I am not sure that the emblem was intended to represent a place of manufacture, it could denote the coat of arms of a family, either the manufacturer or the man for whom the gun was made.

Czechoslovakia did not exist at this time , but no coat of arms of Bohemia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, matches either.

tac
Right you are of course. I had should have said the region that became Czechoslovakia, perhaps Bohemia or Moravia.

And Joe, thanks, an excellent post.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.