Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this at the local gun show this weekend, and I have not been able to identify it. The cases are copper washed steel, the bullet also seems to be copper washed steel jacket. Primer is brass colored. Rim is beveled. headstamp is 1196 at 12 o'clock and 78 at 6 o'clock. Writing is Arabic, and the stripper clips have a faint arrow in triangle stamp a la' Izhevsk. Box is wedge shaped soft cardboard, that is stapled together. 15 rounds in three stripper clips per box.

Has anyone any idea where this came from?

·
Copper Bullet member
9,904 Posts
Interesting.
The box looks Syrian, the headstamp style looks Chinese, but the case and stamping look Polish to me. Possible to get a box from you?

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
Its Syrian/Egyptian ammo

·
Copper Bullet member
9,904 Posts
Possibly loaded there, but the components (or manufacture) are from elsewhere.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
Possibly loaded there, but the components (or manufacture) are from elsewhere.
Definitely repacked or relabeled. The packaging looks to be mid eastern so I would say packaged and labeled there of Warsaw Pact supplied ammo. I have Egyptian/Syrian 54r with arabic script on the head casing so its not locally made.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,904 Posts
OK, I was able to blow the view if the headstamp up. I would give it a 97% Chinese, possibly 3% North Korean. At this point I can't read enough of the label to determine which Arabic-speaking county it was for. Lots of possibilities.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,904 Posts
Great stuff.
Now, was it mfg. in China and then repacked at some time in Syria, or were components sent to Syria for loading and packing?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,118 Posts
Could we get a picture of the mark on the stripper clips?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Like Vic says, it's a Syrian/Egyptian box, but I dont know the headstamp. I haven't seen any Syrian in 7.62x54R -- usually only find 7.5x54 and .303 Brit.

First line

٥٤ مم x ١٥ طاقة عيار ٦٢ز٧

m/m 54 x 7.62 caliber power 15

مم =
mm

٥٤ x ٦٢ز٧ =
54 x 7.62

عيار =
caliber

طاقة =
power

١٥ =

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update:

My curiosity got the better of me, and opened one of the sealed packets.

The Chinese ammo, and soviet stripper clips have NOTHING to do with the contents of the packets, aside from being in the one open packet that I was allowed to look at before I bought them

As the attached picture shows, the packets REALLY contain brass cased, copper jacketed bullets with Arabic head stamps, just as Vic originally posted.

I apologize to all for not having checked further before making my original post, but I had wanted to keep the sealed packets sealed for collector value.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.