Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a gunshow yesterday here in MA I lucked into what is truly a good find. On a table laden with very nice condition Japanese rifles was this out of place looking 28/30. It's dated 1934 on the barrel but the tang date is 1898 Tula (98r). In the barrel channel just above the front sling slot is a hole caused by the necessity to deepen that M91 stock channel to allow for the more massive 28/30 barrel. Is that correct ? Had the dealer known it was an antique we wouldn't have had to swap papers. :) The importer is one I'm not familiar with, Marathon Prod. Inc. The barrel is also stamped Finland. Both of these stampings are small and at the muzzle.

·
Gold Bullet Member
316 Posts
Nice find! Just one more example of why checking all guns on all table at gun shows pays. Your good fortune makes me want to go to more shows.
Bill

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Northeast shows are few and far between and the first big one of the season always attracts the hunters. The shotgun and pistol sellers were busy, the collectable weapons dealers were just standing around. I was there early found two good buys and went on home. It was nice to see a Finn in MA. Down here in my local area there are lots of Finnish residents, been here for generations growing cranberries.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's very interesting how certain rifles seem to end up in certain regions and remain scarce in others. There were a boatload of T99 Japanese rifles at this show, a few Enfields, a couple of M96 Swedes and lots of overpriced stuff from the last show(s).

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
I found a Marathon import 28-30 tagged as a Russian $89.00 awhile back..nice thing about the Marathon Imports..they usually did not have country of origin or model designation..so they get lumped in with all the common Russian Mosins at some gunshops.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,878 Posts
nice find. i found a 1937 dated 28/30 at a gunshow last weekend, and it's the second one i've seen "in the wild" in 5 years of looking. at least, the second one priced low enough that i'd remember it, anyway.

marathon was in business in the 60's, this was probably imported then. fwiw, this is the same company that importe cetme rifles from spain in the 60's, also.

y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found a Marathon import 28-30 tagged as a Russian $89.00 awhile back..nice thing about the Marathon Imports..they usually did not have country of origin or model designation..so they get lumped in with all the common Russian Mosins at some gunshops.
I found my Marathon marked 28-30 tagged as a Russian also for $ 115 OTD IIRC.

Windstar,
The SKY rifles along with the M27 are the coolest to me. Nice rifle. Enjoy.

Meinander

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. The stock left side has a number stamped the same as the barrel ser. no. On the right side is a S 55369 or possibly 56969 which looks much older then the 1934 imprint and as you can imagine just a bit more difficult to see. A half inch rear of the tang and also an inch rearward of the triggerguard is a 5 about 1/8" tall. Other than those and what I've mentioned before, there are no other intentional markings.
Input much appreciated,

Dana

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
nice find. i found a 1937 dated 28/30 at a gunshow last weekend, and it's the second one i've seen "in the wild" in 5 years of looking. at least, the second one priced low enough that i'd remember it, anyway.

marathon was in business in the 60's, this was probably imported then. fwiw, this is the same company that importe cetme rifles from spain in the 60's, also.

y'all have a good day, Keith
Keith, wouldn't it have been after 1968 to have an import mark?

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
Windstar,

Great find, they don't show up too often around here. Was that the Marlboro show? I missed the show this past weekend but usually make a nice or 2 find there. It really pays to look over all the tables closely instead of just glancing quickly at them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice score Windstar , I think I saw you heading out the door with a couple of rifles under your arms...all I could tell from a distance was that someone beat me to a Finn!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it was at the Marlboro show that I collected this 28/30 and an antique Tula M91.

Did you see any other Finns Mashawamp ? I guess it did pay off for me to get there early this year.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,878 Posts
one would think that it'd be after 1968 for an import stamp, and i really don't know if they did it earlier. i know the mars cetme's were imported sometime in the late 60's and they were marked as imported by mars. something to look into! y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
163 Posts
Windstar, no I did not see any other Finns at the show.I mostly was looking for S. Amer. and Swede mausers,but a Finn front sight always gets my attention.
Did you get the Tula from Rick P. ? I think he might of had one.
I'll be on the lookout for you at the Springfield show,I'm helping a friend with a small table.Happy hunting......Mashwamp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts