Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few photos of my finished black powder 50 cal underhammer rifle I built. The design inspiration came from a Hopkins & Allen 1840 "New England Style" rifle with a few of my modifications. The barrel is a Green Mountain 7/8", 36" in length with a 1:70" twist for patched round ball. The wood was carved from a block of tight Curley Maple that was purchased from Tiger Hunt and stained with gunstock finish which has an orange tint. This really brought out the stripping and I have six coats of hand rubbed Tru Gun Oil to seal the wood. I wet sanded before the final oil finish was applied and the wood is as smooth as a baby's bottom. I made my own butt plate but the feel was not right in the shoulder. I found an old Ithaca Shotgun butt plate on eBay that worked out fine with a little custom fitting.

The ramrod lugs are polished brass and mounted directly to the barrel. I did not use a barrel rib because I was limiting the weight of the rifle. I also used a Hickory 3/8" ramrod that I candy stripped (tiger stripped) to match the finish on the stock. I also installed a hidden ball puller in the ramrod for field use. I plan on using this rifle at the range so I will remove the ramrod and will use a range rod, and only insert the custom ramrod in the field or at Rendezvous type shoots that require a woods walk, etc.

The underhammer lock assemble is from Fire & Iron. The assemble has been highly polished and it looks like stainless steel. Fire & Iron in Florida make the best underhammer lock assemble, bare none. I highly recommend using their lock and stock installation system. I left the barrel in the white because the lock assemble was so beautiful I did not want to Brown or Blue the steel. I polished the barrel; however, I did not put a high gloss finish on the barrel because I was concerned with the glare on the sights from the shinny steel in the AZ sun. The rear sights are steel semi-buckhorn and the front sight is a bladed bead. The sights are from the Track of the Wolf. I added a German Silver flash cup for the nipple that was made by a silversmith in PA. I sent him a iron flash cup I had and he made a silver one to the exact same specifications.

The rifle only weighs 7.2 lbs. She is really light, which should add to accuracy when firing standing off-hand.

I probably have 100 man-hours working on this Muzzle Stuffer from the wood carving, drilling & tapping, soldering, sanding, staining, and tinkering to get her just the way I want.

I plan on taking her to the range this week for the real test. I just don't want a "wall hanger", but a functional smoke pole. :)

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
1,178 Posts
I really like it, love those underhammer's. As soon as I get my back, I'll post some pictures of it. Mine is an over the log, chuck gun. 1 1/8, 42" long Douglas XX barrel in .50 cal. Weights in around 14 lb. With a custom brass frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.