Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the seller, these are rare 1928 "pre-series" Izhevsk and Tula M1891/30s (and Santa Claus is a reality). Pictures speak for themselves ...

Izhevsk:

Tula:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
"Pre-series" means what exactly, in the seller opinion? Pre-production trials? Clearly rubbish, just trying to figure out what the man is trying to fake here.
After zooming in on the pics I believe the thing to look at here are the markings and what not on the side of the barrel shank. Not sure what to make of it.

Edit: After looking at the markings on the left of the barrel shank it is clear they were stamped after the rifle was blued. The rifles are clearly refurbs so how exactly will the seller explain these "Pre-series" being stamped sometime in the late 40's or later?

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
They are (modern) European proofhouse markings of some kind. Probably German, but without better pictures it is hard to say.
They appear to be the import mark of the German company Waffen Schumacher GmbH ("WaffSchu"). The PU snipers imported by ATI a few years ago took some sort of detour through that company.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,546 Posts
Maybe the guy just meant pre 91/30 series which in a way they are. I believe many here on the boards often refer to them as Ex-Dragoons. Some sellers are indeed high on the real thing {name your own variety} others may just not have the knowledge on how to list there items. Different scenario, the guy calls a semi rare Finn rifle a 91/30 and people break their fingers to capitalize on the guys unfortunate description. Have no dog in this fight, but I can see a guys attempt of possibly trying to explain an Ex-Dragoon. How many people come on the boards here and start a thread about their 1928 Dragoon and it is a simple ex-dragoon/recent import? As for "rarity", what for sale isn't "rare" these days? And maybe the guy is on crack, I don't know and don't care. Regards, John.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buy-now option for 269 Euros (~ 365 $), auction starts at 149 Euros (about 200 $) each. Both re-listed recently, found no bids in the first run. Now even described as "rare evidence piece for collectors".

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Considering gun laws in Europe, where these are for sale obviously since we don't trade in Euro's, could they actually be rare in the location they are being sold in?

Do some European countries have a law similar to our own Antique status?

But anyway, I tend to agree with the ex-dragoon theory.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
Anytime I read the word "rare" in a gun sale description, I buckle up for plenty of bullsh**. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it has become quite "rare" to actually see a true "rarity" in my searchings. Most of the time its just some jack-wagon trying to convince the uninformed that they should over-pay for the item.

T

1 - 18 of 18 Posts