Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No, the problem is the stock. The embossed star and "A" on the stock appear to have been enhanced. Whether it was an original stamping that someone thought needed further highlighting or it was added by **gasp** Bubba!!! Also the stock looks like a SVT stock or is it a sanded AVT stock? Seeing this makes me wonder if the serial number on the stock is bogus also. Other than that the gun is fine as best I can see.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Yes, they were.
And at that time the auto trigger group was exchanged for a semi group and I have seen many that will swing both ways into the cuts in an AVT stock. So nothing there tells me it is an AVT just a former one that has gone through refurb. Any further enlightenment's? Bill

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've been following these ex-AVT, 1943 variants for some time, and this one seems mostly correct. I have no real issue with the markings, especially not the serial numbers in the stock...these vertical re-stamp with horizontal matching ghost number are typical, and pretty much unique to this variation. I have seen the "A" with a deep, through-the-finish, stamping, and also with a lighter, original "A", sanded and filled with new finish, and don't really suspect any shenanigans. My only issue is with the magazine. More often than not, these guns will have a mag that is almost totally devoid of marks...only a tiny "2" in a box, if memory serves...no s/n, often with the sides of the mag looking brushed clean. I suspect the proper un-numbered mag got lost or swapped at some point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is a nice example of a (former) AVT. It has been refurbed, but it lacks most of the characteristics of a normal russian refurb.

http://imageevent.com/badgerdog/cgnmilsurpknowledgebase/svt40

Note a few things:
1943 Tula
Vertical serial number on AVT stock
Bright bolt
Mauser style front sling swivel
No refurb marks
No import marks
Wide trigger housing
4 hole muzzle brake
Matching stamped receiver, bolt carrier, and trigger group.
The bolt appears EP'ed and purple, rather unusual as I have seen them with stamped bolts, like the example sold on GB.
I also suspect, but can't verify, there is no mixing of components. All components that are marked would be Tula marked.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,395 Posts
AVT 40 Refurb pictures

The Typical North of the border AVT/SVT 40.Most seemed to be 43 and some 44 dated.Refinished,Larger pistol grip stock,Open muzzle brake,Safety goes both ways.Finally no import marks,because its from up north.The other one I have has better Star and A markings in stock.I was a Idiot and didnt take it with the bayonet for 425.I paid 385 with just the rifle and sling.Idiot!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
12,857 Posts
Anything from North of the border would have the magazine pinned to only take five rounds.
Not necessarily. These rifles trickled down 20-25 years ago. Long before the more restrictive laws, including the magazine restrictions, were enacted in Canada.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,395 Posts
Yes 20 years ago Russian SKS,VZ-52 and all the Eastern Mosin nagants came in/snuck in from Canada.No import marks.All stuff that we couldnt get down here.I bought a Finnish Kiv-30 from the guy before they came in here.He had Soviet dragunovs.Hungarian 91/30 snipers like new.He always sold out.I got my first Soviet SKS from the guy.HE had really nice Vz-52's and 52/57 with ammo pouch and extra mag.Some Chinese SKS wiith arabic markins painted on the stocks.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,454 Posts
Back in the early 90's a bunch of the SVT's were imported here too. Many had AVT stocks many were in all likelihood ex-AVT rifles which had been converted to semi auto.

Here are a few pic's of one from that era. It's a 1941 Kovrov. Beautiful stock with deeply struck markings. No evidence of any other numbers ever being removed. I wonder what this would bring????

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
No, the problem is the stock. The embossed star and "A" on the stock appear to have been enhanced. Whether it was an original stamping that someone thought needed further highlighting or it was added by **gasp** Bubba!!! Also the stock looks like a SVT stock or is it a sanded AVT stock? Seeing this makes me wonder if the serial number on the stock is bogus also. Other than that the gun is fine as best I can see.
The stock has been sanded/refinished by somebody, and the star & A have been enhanced by somebody to try to cover up where they were sanded.

This seller has a long reputation for selling items like this. So the logical assumption is that he is the "Enhancer" of the the markings. Though he claims ignorance of such things when they are pointed out, his continual selling of similarly modified items, and his carefully worded descriptions leave little doubt.

This is an AVT stock, as indicated by the thicker wrist, and the notch for the safety to go in two directions instead of just one. Besides the obvious "A".

As a side note, The first shipments of former Soviet Block SVT/AVT's came into Canada about 5 years before they were legal to import to the US. At the time, few people knew what an AVT was, including aparently Century Arms, who let a few "Wild" AVT's get loose in Canada before they figured out why the safety switches went in two directions. This prompted the modifications made to the AVT's, and by time they were legal to import here, there were no "wild" ones left. They had become extict. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.