Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Apologies if this comes across as klingon to everyone else)

Got the five yearly visit from Firearms Licensing next week and I've decided to put in for 5 extra slots as a collector. Are any of the UK based collectors willing to get in touch with me to give me a heads up on sources of M/Ns? I've trawled the usual dealers and owned and offloaded a few so have a rough idea of where to look. Tried importing but got burned with all the additional costs. Currently have a M44 and M27 and can easily get my hands on refurb M38 and 91/30 however want to go 'deeper'(think M91 M39 etc). Any help/advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends what kind of shows you're looking for. Massive militaria show at Detling (called the Military Odyssey. Claims to be the biggest in the world) If you like Tanks, European militaria dealers and re-enactors then this is the one for you. There are large (by UK standards) arms fairs held at Bisley although I've never been.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,671 Posts
Blighty, this question is not meant to be rude or insulting. Do everyday Brits ever get together and lament the wide-spread idea that they cannot be trusted with easy access to firearms? We Americans are always griping about the erosion of our rights. Do you also do this or have the Europeans been conditioned to not question such things.

Again, no offense intended.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I bet many Brits regretted the lack of ready firearms during the riots in London!
(Having guarded my family and home alone during the riots of the 1960s (at age 18) I have a fondness for the comforting feel of a gun in my hands when the city starts burning around you.)
Best of luck in your Mosin collecting - living in Kalifornia, I always am glad to hear gun collecting is surviving in places even more repressive than my state.

Blighty and home, this question is not meant to be rude or insulting. Do everyday Brits ever get together and lament the wide-spread idea that they cannot be trusted with easy access to firearms? We Americans are always griping about the erosion of our rights. Do you also do this or have the Europeans been conditioned to not question such things.

Again, no offense intended.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a question of being conditioned not to challenge such things. Sometimes we have a bit of a moan at the range but what can you do? Semi autos and pistols are gone. Fortunately my interest lies in old bolt guns so not really an issue as I have a fair few. Different mind set over here. I have a colleague who, while in the military Police, served in Bosnia with some US cops. Would draw their weapons at the drop of a hat to the point where they were a liability. I've been bobby for many years now and never needed a firearm because we are not awash with them. We (the police) have them but not so as you'd notice and why should we carry them as a matter of course? Home defence is easy - big maglight!
As for the riots - I was there and believe me the lack of guns was one less thing to worry about!
None of the above solves the problem that would love to get my hands on more interesting Mosin Nagants (without selling a kidney!)

·
Gold Bullet member
2,671 Posts
I'm afraid that all I know about self defense in Britain I learned watching "Harry Brown" starring Michael Cane.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Blighty.
Where did you find a M91 I'm also in the UK and have a small collection of M/N all Tula. I'm upto my maximum allowed of five, M38-M44-91/30 sniper (all 1944) 1x91/30 ex dragoon (1927) 1x91/30 (1942)
Don't forget the War & Peace show as well..the one to visit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not wanting to start anything....really I don't. But as I understand things the rank and file brit has to have a deactivated rifle...my question goes to the bayonet....I know knifes of specific types are a no-no over there now..what about the bayonet for the military rifle?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not at all provided you don't have a criminal record or health issues you can apply to have a firearms certificate and own/shoot guns (no pistols or full bore semi/full auto rifles) only semi auto's are .22rf... as well as own/shoot shot guns.. The number of brits Shooting live has increased over the last 3-5 years, both my clubs have full membership..
You can own knives/bayonets you just don't walk down the street waving them about. All my milsurp rifles have bayonets, some are fitted when shooting on the range, eg M44. G98/K98. etc
Deacts full fill a need for people who cant have live fire guns--collectors who don't want to shoot--military re enactors, etc
Hope this is of help...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Literally got of the 'phone confirming purchase (or at least a deposit pending my ticket coming back). £295 for a very nice VKT! Most refurb 91/30s over here go for only a little less. Bore is lovely and shiney! Won't have it until next month but don't mind waiting. BNZ41 - you sound like you shop at C&G! Found the M91 by trawling through the traders adds at the back of Gun Mart.
Nope, not everyone has to own deacts! Wouldn't give them house space and don't have to either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.