Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to keep my
off these gun auction sites.:eek:

Anyway, I bid on and won, hands down, the ugliest Mak I ever saw.....period.

It was listed as a "Century .380" and I bet you a fair wager it is 9x18 cal. when I get it.

I won it for the staggering sum of $103.51

I major slide refinishing is in store.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Volcanic garden rock crushed, mixed with paint and sprayed on like truck liner. Yup.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Looks like it used to be an Arsenal Bulgie. Maybe the red covers a phosphate finish?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can see the remnants of a "Circle 10". I don't think the Aarsenals had those on them. That's also what makes me think it is actually 9x18 cal.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Don't ya all know that a rare Politbureau Edition Makarov!?

God that looks awful! Did you get it at a descent price?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I can see the remnants of a "Circle 10". I don't think the Aarsenals had those on them. That's also what makes me think it is actually 9x18 cal.
You're right. I had to go check! No circle 10, just "Made in Bulgaria" and the Arsenal logo. Also "Makarov" and the S/N.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
I followed that one, and IIRC, the frame appeared to have a lined-out serial like Century was famous for doing. Seller only showed 1 pic of the flip side, where they usually renumbered when they lined out a serial, and it was so far away and at an angle, I couldn't tell for certain.

SlimTim

·
Registered
658 Posts
well, for the price, as long as it's functional you did great. Get something that will remove all that crap, get some Van's Instant Gun Blue and reblue the sucker and you'll have a nice gun!

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Good God!
it looks like someone painted it with a can of rustoleum and a paintbrush.
i think you have your work cut out for you.
good luck.
lee

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A course dremel buffing wheel will take it off in short order I'm almost positive. I've got 2 or 3 projects in line ahead of it however.
I plan on buffing, sanding then having a local smith hot blue it, cheap. Should be as good as new then.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck. I'd have to wear dark glasses and sneak up on that Mak to even get close to it! Please post photo after you've taken it back from the Devil!

Ron Cole

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel kinda ill. We need to find who did that to that poor Mak. Make sure he can never do it again. Tell his mother.
I'll bet he's mean to puppies too.

·
Administrator
7,256 Posts
Second thoughts - when you get the pistol in hand Parasite, let us know if you think it's something we should be doing to our Maks also.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Second thoughts - when you get the pistol in hand Parasite, let us know if you think it's something we should be doing to our Maks also.
I don't think you'll have to worry about that NB, I wouldn't wish that on anyone's Mak.

The poor little thing, I felt so sorry for it.:( It reminded me of one of those abused and doomed puppies at the animal shelter. Compasion came over me and I had to rescue it.

There's got to be the proverbial "diamond in the rough" hidden somewhere underneath all that toxic looking mess.

namnuts, your new EG used to look just like it.
just kidding:p

1 - 20 of 70 Posts