Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am picking up this Vz24 this Friday. The owner doesn't know much about it, and neither do I. This will be my first Vz. Comes with Bayo/scabbard, $250. I have seen them go for less, or, I've seen them in better shape for $250, but this is the first one I've seen pop up for sale in my area in a couple years, so I jumped on it. The hand grooves seem a little rounded, so I think it might have Had steel wool used on it( the owner says it has cool "leopard spots" on the stock...sounds like when steel wool particles caught in the wood rust and make little black spots). Stock and receiver match, bolt is mismatch.
Anyone know where the XR prefix on the serial number places this one in the series? I've tried to find info on serial numbers, but nothing that addresses an XR prefix.
any other observations or info you guys can give me about it would be great. I should be able to get better pics once I have it in my hands at the end of the week.
thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,190 Posts
The rifle is a late Romanian contract and probably had a King Michael crest. The bayonet scabbard is Romanian contract, the bayonet likely is also. The serial number on the trigger guard was added by Romania.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rifle is a late Romanian contract and probably had a King Michael crest. The bayonet scabbard is Romanian contract, the bayonet likely is also. The serial number on the trigger guard was added by Romania.
Thank you. You have answered several of my questions on different forums here on Gunboards. The info is very much appreciated. You are quite knowledgable. :thumbsup:

·
15,190 Posts
Thank you. You have answered several of my questions on different forums here on Gunboards. The info is very much appreciated. You are quite knowledgable. :thumbsup:
Thanks, most of that knowledge was picked up here on Gunboards since 2009 from people who were willing to answer my questions.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I picked this up yesterday. Still kinda taking it in a bit. I have a question about it. After viewing original pictures sent by the previous owner,I asked if he had sanded the stock because the hand grooves looked very rounded. He said he had not. Upon seeing this VZ I couldn't help but notice how severely it has been sanded and smoothed out...most likely steel wooled too.Besides that everything else is pretty much as I had expected.

Now, as to the stock...I have a Yugo 24/47 that is stamped 1.TRZ, and it also has this same sort of extra smooth feel, I assume it's just sanded through to a finer grit of sandpaper. I am confident my Yugo is in its original arsenal refurbished state, as I got it from a very reputable man. And I have read that 1.TRZ gave particular attention to the stocks. My question is this: is anyone aware of the Romanians doing this as well? Is there a chance this smoothed out wood on this VZ came from the arsenal this way, or is it just a bubba'd smoothed out stock? If it's a ruined stock it's a shame because it matches the receiver. Just trying to figure out if I should keep this one or move it on to another home. It is very nice looking, and the action is smooth as butter.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say it is highly likely that the stock was sanded by a previous owner. It has that look.
I think your right. I pulled out my Yugo, and they are actually pretty different. Hmmm, now I have to decide on if I want to keep it or not. If I restock it, then it will just be a mixmaster. On the other hand, If I can find an extra good deal on a stock maybe I'll keep it and just put the original sanded stock in the closet.

·
15,190 Posts
I think your right. I pulled out my Yugo, and they are actually pretty different. Hmmm, now I have to decide on if I want to keep it or not. If I restock it, then it will just be a mixmaster. On the other hand, If I can find an extra good deal on a stock maybe I'll keep it and just put the original sanded stock in the closet.
Keep it or sell it, I would not take the original stock off of it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Rifle's like this are very old, and have been handled a lot. Could just be worn smooth. Few if any of my VZ's have sharp corners any more and would venture to say you will look long before you find one, worn or steel wooled. Oh, my P jap does and also a as new 'C re-fix'. I would keep it atho I do not buy ground crest rifles.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wanted to share these two pics with the bayonet on just because they look cool to me. Added a couple of the buttstock too. Such a shame it got sanded. This one has initials carved into it, and what looks like three slash/hash marks? I've started to appreciate this rifle a bit more after having it a while. It's the only rifle I have with a stock that has been sanded...so it's taking some getting used to. It just feels wrong. But, I will keep this one until another one comes along that's better to take its place.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts