Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,444 Posts
Well this is a case of not reading the fine print. Purchased a Uberti 1858 Remington Navy - 36cal. Slugged the bore which came out at o.379 to 0.3795. Then I slugged the cylinder which came out at 0.374. When a 0.374 or 0.375 ball is pushed into the bore, you can see lots of daylight around it. Not a good situation. Looked the revolver up in Dixie and sure enough, they listed the bore at 0.380 and the cylinder at 0.374. The 44s all have a cylinder at or larger that the bore. Does anyone have a clue as to why they would make a cylinder smaller than the bore? Next question - Does anyone know a gunsmith that could ream the cylinder chambers out to a more appropriate size?
Any input will be much appreciated - Cove
I think they did it that way in the old days, so would need to ask Sam Colt and his competitors. However - if you use a pure lead ball (IMO the only way to go with c&b revolvers), it will slug up and take the rifling. Or at least mine always have.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.