Gunboards Forums banner

U.S. Soldier with Mosin Nagant in hand

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  GunsalesmanOFtheYEAR 
#1 ·
This is a hand-colored litho I found at a garage sale. The reverse says "339th 3/545". Looks like a posed picture taken at (possibly) Camp Custer. The 339th was my Grandfather's unit, hence my call sign. He went to Russia as a "Detroit's Own" Polar Bear 1918-1919.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
So did my grandad-maybe they knew each other?
Hello, Vic. I have posted about my Grandfather before, and if I remember right, we corresponded about that possibility. I communicate with several others on the same topic, so I could be mistaken. Grandpa was a Private in "A" Company, 4th Platoon. The Bentley Historical Library in Michigan has an online archive that is researchable: http://bentley.umich.edu/ You probably know about it. I downloaded several documents, ship rosters, lists of wounded, etc. with Grandpas name on them. He is mentioned by name in Dorothea York's "The Romance of Company A". I would like to follow up on this and not take bandwidth, please PM me?

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Looks great.
I'm gonna ask this question, even though it's breaking all kinds of unwritten laws;
How much did you pay for it at the sale? LoL!

I'm only asking to show everyone what some people would consider junk. Because it's fascinating to me; and I'm sure the seller wouldn't have thought twice to throw it away if you hadn't bought it.

If the answer's private, then by all means, ignore me. =D No harm in asking.
Hey, no problem. I paid $5.00 for the litho and an expended 4 inch Howitzer casing dated 1918.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Way cool.......what are the odds that you would find that pic, labeled with the 339th and you actually having an interest in your grandfathers military experience?
Oh, I agree-astronomical. That's the funny thing about collecting. Things come out of the woodwork when you focus (actually, obsess, on my part).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.