Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
Wish the pictures could be larger like the New Jersey pictures.

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Dave---Nice Pics. Looks like she can get up and move in the last pic.. Was it Nuke powered?

Regards
Art

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
14 Posts
U.S.S. Ranger was a great ship. My father served on the Ranger during WWII, but his ship looked a little bit different. Here is a picture of the first Ranger.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,201 Posts
I just got a book devoted to USS Ranger, CV-4. They ran her hard both before and during the war, and wore her out. And then consigned her to scrap without much more than a nod. We learned a lot about carrier operations and characteristics from CV-4 - probably most importantly that small carriers aren't a very good buy, not very versatile (the CVEs of WWII notwithstanding).

Look how small Midway looks (and she was a BIG ship, significantly larger than an Iowa-class BB, a Lexington or an Essex) next to her successors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a side note, I'm glad you got some use out of the satellite image, I shot that for the Uss Midway, my old ship. I have also taken images of her down in San Diego as a museum. I can not wait till we get our next satellite up next year, it will have even better resolution.

Geoeye.com

·
94,201 Posts
Clyde

Could you provide info on that book? I would like to get a copy.
USS RANGER: 1934-1946 by Robert J. Cressman. Potomac Books Inc. (www.potomacbooksinc.com) 22841 Quicksilver Drive, Dulles. VA 20166. ISBN 1-57488-519-7. Cover price is $26.95. Copyright date is 2003. 451 pages including the index. No idea if it is still in print. Can't recall where I picked it up, but have an idea it was at a Half Price Books.

·
Registered
201 Posts
....if they dont save her,next best thing is the Saratoga.....CV-60....in the 'family'..heeheee.....she's being made into a museum on the east coast...I did 2 1/4 cruise with her with my Squadron.....72-76...have tons of pics I shot back then that I can post too if anyone's interested...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ranger Book

Thanks Clyde, I was able to get the book in soft cover from Barnes and Noble's site for 13.50 including shipping. It is a great book.

·
94,201 Posts
You are very welcome. It is a pretty good book. I don't think it was published in anything but soft-cover.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,878 Posts
was in bremerton in 99 working on a machine in the garage across the street from where they were tied up. The thought crossed my mind that i had been in both the midway and independence battle groups (out of yokosuka), and the last time i saw the ranger in commission was in 95 when they visited yokosuka. Most memorable thing about that visit was that comnavforjapan made the ranger anchor out and would not grant liberty to anyone on board because they were tearing the town down!

The indy and ranger might have been retired a little early, but the midway sure wasn't. It was killing people by the time they brought it back to the states. too many of it's systems (piping and other) were just worn out.
we had to stand off her in the spring of 90 to render assistance during a fire. one of her jp5 lines ruptured, leaked through at least 2 "watertight" bulkheads, and hit a catapult steam line and flashed. that was about the time we were changing from firefighting in raingear to the new ensemble coveralls. Of the guys who went in to fight the fire, the guys in ensembles made it back out, the guys in raingear didn't.

edit: funny you should mention the midway's size in relation to a battleship. her keel was originally laid to be a battleship, and she and the coral sea actually had battleship armor belts around the waterline.

those are nice pic's though, and all 3 of the ships have a much better paint job on them than i ever say when they were operational. not even mary sue in hong kong could make the paint look that good.

Keith

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
...edit: funny you should mention the midway's size in relation to a battleship. her keel was originally laid to be a battleship, and she and the coral sea actually had battleship armor belts around the waterline....
Don't know where you got this, but I checked both "Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships" and Conway's "All the World's Fighting ships" and no mention was made of using a battleship keel. They did take design elements from the Montana class, though.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,172 Posts
David's right they just used the design for her hull.

Midway was laid down 27 October 1943 by Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Virginia. Her revolutionary hull design was based on what would have been the Montana class battleships and gave her superior maneuverability over all previous carriers. She was launched 20 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Bradford William Ripley, Jr.; and commissioned 10 September 1945, Captain Joseph F. Bolger in command.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts