Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took these photo's when i was in the U.S. Navy 1984-88.
i was stationed on the U.S.S. Ranger CV-61.
we were heading to Vancouver B.C. in 1986 for the worldsfair.
the Jersey and her battle group showed up and they decided to have a live fire exercise....enjoy.

Dave

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
67,520 Posts
If you purchased it, where would you park it ?

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
I sure wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of that. Nice Pics.

Regards
Art

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw an article in a military magazine about a year ago with photos of some 16 inch barrels for the US battleships sitting around a desert depot. They were either spares or from the unfinished USS Illinois and USS Kentucky, both of the Iowa Class. All the barrels were made during WW2. A 16 inch gun barrel would be a great conversation peice lol.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
New Jersey Parking spot!

She's parked right in the Delaware River where she ought to be! When I worked at Dupont's Chambers Works in Deepwater I watched her towed up the river to there and I have yet to make it back up there to tour her which you can do. You get your own private tour group and guide. Some of these old salts actually served on her too so they have many great stories to tell. Years ago when they were still using her I got a brief glimpse of her at sea while in the USAF. Thanks for sharing the pics they brought back great memories! Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
97,089 Posts
New Jersey is a museum ship, like Missouri (at Pearl Harbor) and Wisconsin (at Newport News). But Iowa is out in Suisun Bay and they might sell her to you. There is a requirement that she stay in PRK, though, so that might be a problem.

Proposal to berth her at San Fran failed from local opposition. With nine 16-inchers, you'd have thought the locals (or at least some of them) would have been pretty eager...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sad that the namesake of the class is out in the cold when all of her sisters have found homes. Hard to tie up a battlewagon in Des Moines, but you'd think it could go somewhere for future generations to admire.

·
67,520 Posts
New Jersey is a museum ship, like Missouri (at Pearl Harbor) and Wisconsin (at Newport News). But Iowa is out in Suisun Bay and they might sell her to you. There is a requirement that she stay in PRK, though, so that might be a problem.

Proposal to berth her at San Fran failed from local opposition. With nine 16-inchers, you'd have thought the locals (or at least some of them) would have been pretty eager...

They may have been afraid that they would be used on them.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
97,089 Posts
Well, I'd have figured that, for that sort, that would be the attractive...

·
Silver Bullet member
1,154 Posts
16 inchers

I live in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania, just down the road from the old Bethlehem Steel Corp. They used to make those barrels at the plant. In fact, the Jersey's barrels may have been made there. Several years ago they were planning on making an industrial museum at the site, and aquired one of the barrels from the USS Pennsylvania. Quite a sight up close!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
I guess that the powers that be have decided that battleships are no longer first line
weapons. Wonder if "hostiles" within range of those guns would consider them obsolete......

·
67,520 Posts
I do not think so

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I guess that the powers that be have decided that battleships are no longer first line
weapons. Wonder if "hostiles" within range of those guns would consider them obsolete......
Battleships are high maintenance and heavily manned. Overall not as much "bang for the buck" as other current options.

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts

That was decided back in WWII. The carriers took that honor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts