Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you might enjoy seeing a period photograph of a U. S. recruit with his REM Mosin Nagant. REM as a faint round cartouche can be seen on the right side of the stock. Note he is also sporting a McKeever Cartridge Box. They had been modified to fit the U. S. .30-'06 cartridge, and take a 7.63x54 neatly. The photo is of a 1908 RIA McKeever fully loaded with the Russian round.

southridge

Photograph Standing Snapshot Vintage clothing Headgear
Cigar Ammunition Tobacco products Cylinder

·
Gold Bullet Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
draftpick-

Good question: see Clawson, "American-Made Mosin Nagant Rifles, " pp. 8 & 30. According to him, both REM and NEW provided "...cleaning rod guide, screwdriver, two spout oil/solvent container, cleaning rod jag, chamber cleaning brush and crossbar for use on a T-handle through the hole in the cleaning rod head." This refers specifically to the Russian Contract rifles. Don't know of those went with the U.S. surcharged rifles as well.

southridge

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Neat pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us!

·
Registered
186 Posts
draftpick-

Good question: see Clawson, "American-Made Mosin Nagant Rifles, " pp. 8 & 30. According to him, both REM and NEW provided "...cleaning rod guide, screwdriver, two spout oil/solvent container, cleaning rod jag, chamber cleaning brush and crossbar for use on a T-handle through the hole in the cleaning rod head." This refers specifically to the Russian Contract rifles. Don't know of those went with the U.S. surcharged rifles as well.

southridge
I wonder if the tools and oilers were NEW or REM marked? I have seen a REM screwdriver but no oilers.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
i have a .30 army cartridge box from the late 19th century that is very similar to the one in the OP. Very interesting like kcrad said; in evolution of a civil war era box.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts