Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

Please provide your opinions on which you think is more collectable, a Finnish M39 in excellent condition or one of the U.S. made 1891 models or one of the AIM advertised Finnish SA marked 1891 models, including the U.S. ones. I ask because I am looking to add a nice piece to my collection and don't own either a M39 or U.S. 1891. The $300 range (maybe more) is where I am looking. I understand opinions will vary and that each rifle is different but I am looking for discussion about the value and rarity of each type to help me make my decision. I appreciate anyone who own both telling me what they like about each. Thank you for your time. I am hoping to buy one soon. I would be buying it more for an investment.

Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think personal taste is going to come in most. I would love to own one of the US made 1891's. I love the history behind the guns, and from my understanding these guns were made for Russia because they could not produce them fast enough. From what I have seen, there are many more M39's out there for sale as opposed to US made, so chances are they are more rare as well.

You asked for opionons and there is mine...now to start saving so I can get one of the US made ones!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Get one of each and than a few more!!!!!
They out of production for quite some years, and a lot of fun to shoot!!!!!!

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
It depends on the M39 as there are a lot of variations and some are much more "collectible" than others, although the prices may actually be the inverse of the history. On the other hand, I think the current US M91s for sale are overpriced and it might be awhile before you see any appreciation of your "investment".

If you're only buying from a monetary standpoint and not because of an interest in the firearms then you're probably not going to spend the time necessary to make a good decision on the purchase. I'd suggest mutual funds or a money market account instead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys thanks for your input. 7.62x54r, I have done research, I even bought your CD and I love it. I had to take a couple of years out of collecting and have been surprised by how much some items have appreciated while others have remained static. I wish I had made some deals a couple of years ago that I didn't make. Also I now have the money to buy some nicer stuff but I want to make a wise choice. I am just trying to see what other people who are more active in their collecting think. I don't own either one and I am not buying it purely for investment, but I would like to know that my newest gun is appreciating faster than some of my other purchases. From my earlier post I can see how you could think I only wanted an investment but I want to shoot and I love history. Please continue the discussion.

Thank you.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It seems the Finnish rifles have appreciated more than the US versions lately, except the ones with US military proofs on them. I think the SA marked Russian or US rifles are way overpriced. I don't really know what the attraction is, other than they usually have better bores. I doubt the price of M39s is going to go down much, and as Ted said, they are about the best of the bunch to shoot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"The Mosin Nagant mutual fund" that is a great idea! I can't believe the price has gone up so much on M39s. I guess all of us have driven the price up by our interest. Also, a hard asset like an M39 is good to have close by, for many reasons. A Mosin Nagant ring tone would be cool as well. You get an incoming call and "boom" - someone has probably already done it. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Do like me and find yourself a nice all matching Remington M91 that happens to also have an SA mark on it. Then you will have the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
There should be no comparison of a US made M-91 and a Finnish made M-39. Two completely different cats, as far as shooting. Both are desirable. Market makes the price for each. Markings makes the difference among each.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
The Remington...

There should be no comparison of a US made M-91 and a Finnish made M-39. Two completely different cats, as far as shooting. Both are desirable. Market makes the price for each. Markings makes the difference among each.
Well said Shyquester...And it would be the Remington with US markings.
usrifle

·
Copper Bullet member
296 Posts
Personally, I would like my next purchase to be a US made Mosin Nagant, preferrably a Russian Remington M91, since I only have two of them, and both are Finnish captured NEW M91s.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Hmmm, buying one or the other for an investment....That is something I don't do - I am really unconcerned about current or future value of the guns I buy - I buy for the uniqueness of the piece - The role it plays in the piece of history I am interested in - Sure I want to buy a rifle for a good deal, but then I have dropped significant cash for what other's would not think to pay - It just depends on what I want & how bad I want it - Would I sell for pennies on the dollar? No =+) - The decisions needed to buy a M39 or an American made MN totally depend on what you are looking for & why you want it =+)
M39's are generally good shooters with nice trigger pulls and easy to carry - M91's can generally be ungainly, have terrible trigger pulls & the accuracy of them can be spotty at best. That said, M91's are my preference, I like them better than M39's =+)

Pahtu.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
163 Posts
I agree with Pahtu.

It should be what tickles your intellect and infuses passion. That said - I think the American 91s have a far more fascinating history than the M39s. The Rem/NEWs are certainly harder to come by than the M39s.

Alas, to each his own...........:)

·
Gold+ Bullet member
339 Posts
As far as quality and pleasure of ownership, an M39 will be a nice investment. I would love to have one of the US made rifles that was kept in this country, but they are quite scarce and too expensive.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
More CU's..

Here ya go Shy...
usrifle

US flaming bomb and Springfield arsenal Eagle acceptance marks...

Stock Proof....

All parts are "R" marked, even the rear sight slide.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Always buy the rifle that you like the most. It's gonna be your rifle, you should like it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts