Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Krag sight restoration project

I bought this M1898 Krag a couple of years ago. The previous owner had switched out the sights but other than that it was a nice looking rifle in great shape with a shiny bore and crisp rifling. When I found out that restoring the front sight was a little more involved, I put the project on the backburner but resurrected it a couple of months ago. I got some good advice over at KCAF and found a gunsmith to take off the Remington front-ramp that was soldered on and install a Krag sight, though neither of us really knew what he'd find when that sight came off. I tried to find an original Krag front sight without luck, so finally settled for a repro base, blade and pin from S&S which I blued by first oil quenching and then browning solution. I picked it up yesterday and am pretty pleased with the result. The 'smith told me this repro sight was too big for the dovetail so he had to do a little work to fit it. It's not quite an original finish job as you can see, but I feel I know have a representative shooter, which is what I was after in the first place. The 1901 rear sight was the easy part and thankfully the previous owner hadn't bugger up the holes for the rear sight. I hope to take it out to the range tomorrow.

Before:

After:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Couldn't fit this one in the post above:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Here's one I just picked up. Model 1898 in a replacement Italian walnut stock. I don't think is was used much after being arsenal refurbished.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Austin,

I found it in a local pawn shop. It came out of a collection that's being liquidated a little at a time. I also posted about it on the KCA (Krag Collector's Association) forums. In around 1898 there was a shortage of American walnut stock blanks, so the government purchased additional walnut wood from Italy. The Italian walnut is lighter in color - yellowish-orange, and often has striping in the wood grain. Some rifles received these stocks when newly built, and will have the Springfield Armory acceptance stamp on the left side of the stock, along with a serif-P firing proof on the wrist, just like any other SA rifle. My rifle lacks the SA acceptance stamp, but instead has a capital letter "C" on the left side and a non-serif P firing proof on the wrist. The consensus is that my rifle received it's stock as a replacement of the original stock during an arsenal refurbishment, possibly around the WWI time frame. Probably at the same time, the rear sight was updated to a model 1901, and it may have been rebarreled as well. It's in incredible condition and shoots great!

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Several years ago I purchased a sporterized US 1898 Krag rifle. 22 in. barrel with '03 style front sight and Lyman 48c diopter in rear.
I wanted to give back a military look to this rifle but as I'm in France, it was impossible for me to find an original Krag 30 inches barrel.
So, I decided to make a Philippin Constabulary carbine clone.

Before :
View attachment 1937569 View attachment 1937577

After :
View attachment 1937593 View attachment 1937601

The shortened stock and the sling are original. Both 1903 made. Upper handguard is a reproduction. Not inletted for rear sight.

·
Registered
184 Posts
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.