Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Norwegian Krag

I have grown very fond of the Krag rifle. My Grandfather was "reportedly" given this rifle by the King of Norway. The label on the butt stock is from the Defense Department and translates for a Premium Award to Elling Svendsbye for International Marksmanship Competition 1914 which is the same year as the rifle.

The rear sight was "modefied: by grandpa and I am now searching high and low for a Norwegian Krag Model 1894 rear sight.

I also have his scope I believe he used with the Krag but I haven't been able to find much on the C.P. Goerz scope. It looks like that company is now called Zeis.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is my M1896. It has an arsenal rebuild replacement stock and it has a M1902 (2nd Model) rear sight. I assume this was updated during the rebuilding program early in the 20th century. This is my first Krag and am loving it. Next on the list for it is a sling and a bayonet.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here are a few photos of my Model 1898, serial number 336,xxx. My grandfather bought this rifle sometime after WW1. No one is sure exactly when, but my father remembered it from at least the early 30's. During the 30's my grandfather shortened the barrel to 18" to fit his saddle scabbard as he rode around his ranch in Lincoln Co., NM. At that time he also fitted a home-made front sight-post made from solder and part of a penny.

Sometime after WW2 he bought and installed a Fagen stock, though again, no one seems to be quite sure exactly when that happened. Nobody remembers when he fitted the Redfield rear sight, either. This was a working rifle that he carried daily as a rancher and county pest control officer. He literally fed the family year-round with this rifle. Who knows how many out-of-season mulies fell to it during the Depression... :D

In any case, this is how it looked when he gave it to my dad when my 2-year-older brother turned 10 in the early 60's.

My brother hunted deer with this rifle for two years before my mother quit hunting, and as I turned 10 that year, my brother moved up to mom's .308 and this Krag is the rifle I started hunting with. In fact, it is the first rifle I ever shot.

Hope you enjoy the photos. BTW, that tape measure is pulled out to 30", showing the original barrel length.

Added material: I took this rifle to my family reunion last summer, where 4 relatives from 19-73 shot it for old time's sake. I also got a lot of new information about the rifle, which I list below.

1. According to elderly members of the family at the reunion (up to 85 years young), my Grandpa bought the rifle soon after returning from France after the end of WWI...say, early 20's.

2. They also said that he immediately shortened the barrel after buying that rifle so it would fit his saddle scabbard correctly. When he returned home to Lincoln Co., NM after the war, he was hired as foreman on a ranch, and he and his men routinely carried rifles while out on the range.

3. The front sight is the original sight...just crudely soldered in its new place.

4. The Fagen stock was installed by my Dad after being given the rifle, not by my Granddad. (I have bought an original Krag carbine stock off GB and will be retrofitting the rifle to it, making a reproduction carbine out of it...I think.)

5. My older brother and my uncle told me I was eight, not ten, when I started hunting with this Krag. In any case, for my older brother, too, this was the very first firearm he ever shot.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The pictures of those Krags are great! The only problem is that I now want one. I guess I will have to star saving some pennies and look around for a Rifle length one-sigh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Genealogy, maybe I can help

~

Excellent photo GunBuff58! Thanks for sharing! :)

I am a genealogist, maybe I could help you find some of the information you seek. Shoot me a PM if you want to know more.

Sly

·
Registered
134 Posts
Krag carbine.
Model 1898
US
Springfield Armory
132,000 serial no.

The front sight appears to be non military bead type, stamped 'WESTSITE'. Walnut stock, very good condition, no visible stamps.

Don't know if this is an original carbine or a 'cut down' rifle.

Barrel is in very good condition, bodes well for a good shooter. No pitting. Sharp, crisp rifling.

Does the serial number reveal anything about the original configuration- rifle or carbine?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looks like a "Bannerman Special" re-barreled with a 1903 barrel. Many Krag rifles ended up this way. It should make a good shooter! When I say "Bannerman", it could have come from Stokes, Bannerman or any other gunsmith of the era. It looks like the stock was nicely done and not a hack job. Is there a cartouche on the left side?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the info.

No visible cartouche on the stock. There is a very faint hint of round-ish imprint aft of the trigger guard on the bottom of the stock.

Now that's very interesting- are you saying that it might have an M1903 Springfield barrel instead of a Krag, thus 30-06 and not 30-40 chambering? It definitely has a Krag rear sight and not an M1903 Springfield rear sight.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
When Springfield barrels were installed they were rechambered for the .30 Army (.30-40) cartridge. If by some chance it will chamber a .30-06 DO NOT SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks- I'll confirm chambering before firing.

Even if it's somehow a 30-06, it should still be safe to use suitably mild handloads, I would think, but '06 ball ammo would be out of the question. I understand that the locking system was never intended to cope with '06 pressures.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.