1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Here is my one and only!

·
Registered
402 Posts
My one and only Krag is a cut-down rifle (Model 1898; S/N 221225) that was purchased by my grandfather sometime in the 30's or 40's. My Dad has told me that grandpa did all the mod work on it (he was a part-time gunsmith and armorer while in the Army). While it has no collectable value, the intrinsic value to me is great. The barrel was cut to 24", handgaurd removed and the stock was chopped and checkered (this in the day when money was tight and a Krag was a cheap hunting rifle). The rifle is in great shape considering its 108 year age. Its a great shooter with 185 gr cast bullets over SR-4759. I purchased one of the old Redfield "no drill" aperture sights for it and it works great!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I found this picture on the Krag Jouster forum a while back. It shows Doughboys overseas (supposedly) with stacked Krag rifles. The person who originally posted this stated that a caption with the photo claimed this was part of the 1st Infantry Division on review in London. I tried contacting the original poster with no luck.

I suspect this is a support group (supply company or something) as they are armed with Krags and the canteens are SAW era. I doubt its a front-line unit.

I would really appreciate if anyone has seen this photo before, or might know where it originally came from (book, etc.). The man 6th from the right looks a lot like my G-Grandfather -- he served in a supply company in France during WW1. (We have quite a few family pic's of him during his time in the army.) I know its improbable, but I'd like to run this to ground.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The very first US Army units to reach England in 1917 were in fact equipped with Krag rifles. I have seen other photos of them thus armed. I assume they were probably reserve or Nat'l Guard units who were shipped over quickly for morale/propaganda purposes? The soldiers in this photo appear to be older men, not young recruits/regulars.

According to Bruce Canfield, some US support units (railroad units?) in France were also equipped with Krags although there is no record of them being in combat.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I recently purchased Cranfield's WW1 infantry weapons book thinking maybe this picture had come from there. Its a good book from a lot of aspects. Lots of good photos!

We noticed too that these men appeared older and thought they may be a guard unit or something. My G-grandfather would have been 31 at the time of his service in France. I've written the National Records office to try and get his service record, but apparently, his was probably one of those destroyed in the fire they had during the early 1970s.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It's Rick the Librarian!!!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
heres a couple - 1892/96 & 1898 [with the spanish 1893 for scale ?]

and the bayos with the four scabord styles [with the spanish 1893 for scale ]

and an 1899 carbine [with M1903s for scale?]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is a 1899 Krag

I already posted this on the Krag 1 thread. I didn't know there was a special thread so here it is again.

My Krag is a 1899 #287097. It was my Great Grandfathers gun and was passed down to me.

Anyone who wants to learn about theirs I suggest the book 'The American Krag' by Joe Poyer. I got me a copy and underlined everything that has to do with my model.

The book brought back a long forgotten memory about one time when my daddy, me and uncle Chuck had been out shooting, came back to the garage and they made a new front site by cutting a penny. We went back out and they were real happy. This book mentions the problem with the front site blade.

Here are some photos of mine:

The sound this bolt action makes is music to me. A sound I grew up with and have always loved.

Sly

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I found 30 USG cases in the field where the homestead used to be I could not resist in getting a Krag. I had no idea if it came from a Winchester or a Krag but it was a natural to get a Krag as we are of Norske decent.:)
The first one I found up here was an 1896 Carbine. Right away I fell in love but resisted the impulse purchase. I knew nothing about carbines being so rare until I got home. A couple months later I went up and bought it. :p

Bubba added sling swivels, a bead front sight and then ground out the sight plate making it a bugger to sight. At least I can fix it fairly easy if I find another piece. Receiver got D&T'd too but she will be well taken care of from now on. She's a shooter too. with a scope she went inside an inch with 220gr Hornady's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked this one up at Perry.

Not bad for $350.00. First trip to the range, for load development. Smallest group 5 shot group @ 100yds, 1.1". Largest of the day 2.38". Extremely slick action, makes you wonder if it picked up the next round. These rifles are nice.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That 1899 carbine of A-Square's looks like one I picked up in a trade once.
The bore was corroded out by cupronickel fouling and corrosive primers.
The action was still perfect and the overall condition outside of the ruined bore was good to very good.
It was definitely unsafe to fire though, I couldn't even get a patch down the bore without the hanging shreds of Cupronickel fouling cutting the cloth to pieces. You could see the metal peeling up out of the grooves like strips of chrome off an old rusty bumper.
Near as I can tell someone had fired it alot with old military ammo then left it uncleaned in a closet since before WW2.

Knowing nothing about Krags I had assumed it was a sporterized chop job so I traded it off when I couldn't find a replacement barrel, that was in the late 60's.
I made three times what I had in it, which was probably five times more more than its book value at the time as a wall hanger, but probably a fifth what it would be worth today.

I have a friend who has a family album with photos of his mother's family hunting out west, they are all carrying Krag Carbines like the one pictured.

I'll try to borrow the album and scan the photos.

·
Diamond Member
1,174 Posts
Here is a pair I have for sale on the main trader board.

See photos, I believe the Carbine to be a "Bannerman" other than that I am including a 1902 U.S. bayonet with the pair.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's my Krag. I've won a few matches with this rifle and killed a small deer in 2007 with it. Somewhere along the line someone cut down the stock and burned the name F.W. Markle in the underside. I'd give my right arm for a completely original one.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts