Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1939 91/30 that is a pretty damned accurate gun, and I'd like to get the most out of it.

I currently have it set up with a cheap scout mount type system, but found it changes POI quite badly if I don't have my cheek in the perfectly same spot each time I fire. It works for 100 yards, but I'd like to extend the range a little.

what other options do I have for scoping this rifle? mine rates a "1" (least rare) on the online rare ratings, so I am not worried about destroying its rarity by drilling and tapping if, if needed.

so what are some of my options? any of you have scope mounts that you love? hate? enlighten me!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I bought a M91 from a pawn shop that Bubba had already gotten to. It has the synthetic stock, receiver scope mount, and bolt handle kit that you can get out of Shotgun News for around $100. It cost about $2 to repair his poor workmanship and I added a CenterPoint scope from Walmart for $69.95. It will do inch and a quarter groups at 100 yards with Brown Bear ammo.
While I would never consider butchering any of my other Mosins this way, Bubba had already ruined the collector value of this gun so I decided to make it shoot the best it could. I may still float the barrel and bed the action. Some other non-damaging alternatives for your rifle are:
1) Shoot it with the bayonet attached. It WILL change your POI and may improve your groups. And,
2) Try better ammo or reload your own for that particular gun. ALL of my Mosins had this change in accuracy, from worst to best: milsurp (6"-8" groups), Winchester 180gr soft point (under 4"), Winchester 180gr FMJ (3"), and Sellier&Bellot 180gr FMJ (2"groups). All this with open sights and my old eyes. Please don't "Bubba" your 91/30!
You may also consider a Russian PE or PU scope and mount, professionally installed by a competent gunsmith but, it may not be worth the cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts