Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This carbine has a bent bolt. Swiss shield marking on rec. 1903/? Dated also. Has eared style front sight protectors like Finnish rifles have. Any ideas? Sorry for the limited info. Did not have much time to look at it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hmmmm....

Bent bolt and 1903 date doesn't go together. The only rifle with a bent bolt handle would be the Swiss Vetterli all others are straight pull.

Wes

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
This carbine has a bent bolt. Swiss shield marking on rec. 1903/? Dated also. Has eared style front sight protectors like Finnish rifles have. Any ideas? Sorry for the limited info. Did not have much time to look at it.
Pictures are needed.

I have never heard of a bolt-action Swiss carbine of any kind, let alone a dated one. Dates can only be determined by serial number.

tac
K96/11
K31
K31-action target rifle

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well...

It could be a Vetterli carbine very much similar to the one below...

It has the eared style front sight and is marked at the left side of the receiver, there could be a cross there also and that 1903 could be the serial for a M1871 typ II Vetterli carbine.

The other option is a M93 cavalry carbine with a accidently bend bolt, that one looks like this...

That 1903 could be the serial and they sometimes have a Swiss cross in circle stamp on the receiver, it is a straight pull but with a bent bolt it looks like a turn bolt.

Although the chances are minimal it also could be a 1905 carbine, that one has the eared front sight and the 1903 could be the serial but it also is a straight pull.

Tell us more about were the stamps were placed.

Guisan.:)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the m93. I will have to go and take a look again to be shure. what is the value of a m93?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The markings are on the receiver.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well M93's are pricy and much looked after, better take a good look to see what it is first.
If it is a M93 with serial 1903 you'll probably also find a stamp with S.I.G Neuhausen on the receiver and the magazine should have a matching number. The numbers behind the serial may be the year the rifle was privatized (P + year)
This rifle was not made to shoot GP11 ammo, it fired a weaker 7.5 X 53.5 GP90 cartridge that is no longer made now.

Much luck !

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Thanks for the info and piccies on the carbine!

Even at my advanced age, I never stop learning.

Best

tac

·
Premium Member
105,710 Posts
All this waiting is killing me! Was it the 93?????

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The answer...

i wonder if it's a greek mannlicher-schoenauer 1903 carbine. The greek crest looks similar to the swiss & 1903 is on the receiver.

http://www.sunblest.net/gun/Mann03.htm

hope it helps
rick

I think you got it right there, I know little about the outside CH scene but this seems to be an appropiate answer !

·
Registered
20 Posts
M 93

The 7.5 mm M 1893 Carbine is a Mannlicher straight-pull weapon. 4000 were made by SIG at Neuhausen for the Swiss Army. The bolt is based on the Austrian Steyr-Mannlicher straight-pull (M 95) Rifle.
One poor feature on the system was a bad primary extraction resulting in extraction problems. The M 93 was soon replaced by a Schmidt-Rubin System.
I remember 1957, M 93 Carbines were used as Strap (strain)-Rifles for the Kampfbahn (combat parcour, not for shooting) in the Rekrutenschule in Zürich.
Hans

1 - 16 of 16 Posts