Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
I have A7947 that my grandfather brought back from WWII. He passed away a few years ago, but the story goes, they found a stash of these on mainland Japan in a cave after the bombs were dropped and they landed there. He was a radioman in the Navy. These were all brand new packed in cosmo. He got to shoot a box of rounds through it and grabbed 2 bayonets. I have 1 of the bayonets as well.

Unfortunately, he had to mail it back home once he got back to San Diego and the barrel got bent. He straightened it out and bored the firing pin so that nobody would shoot it and get hurt. I'd love to find a barrel to have installed so that I could shoot it. He told me it shot pretty good.

· Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
16,155 Posts
I just bought a Type I, s/n I1004, short stock, dark finish, no rod.

· Registered
161 Posts
It seems as though I have a tendency to resurrect dead threads from the grave, so here it goes.

I recently got a Japanese Type I rifle locally. SN is J 5334 and appears to be an FNA Brescia production gun, which contradicts some of the reported serial number ranges I've seen, in particular that specified on p. 170 of The Model 1891 Carcano Rifle: A Detailed Developmental and Production History by Ralph Riccio and Giovanni Chegia. It's also marked 39, which I assume like other Carcano rifles indicates a production date of 1939.

Handwriting Cylinder Material property Tin Publication
Cylinder Wood Tin Font Artifact
Tire Automotive tire Musical instrument Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.