Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,729 Posts
One more serial number repost:

robg75
Posted - 02/08/2007 : 11:39:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know which are the scarest prefixes for type I rifles? I have rifle A1922 and H21 (barreled receiver and bolt).

· Registered
2,729 Posts
Type "I" Statistics

Ronin48
Posted - 11/08/2006 : 08:23:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prior to the publication of MRoJ in 1977 several people were working on Japanese rifle manuscripts, one was Lt. Col. Bill Mozey. After Fred published other similar projects were scrapped and Bill sent me some of his raw data including his record of Type "I"s encountered.

If the person that summarized the percentage of each "I" letter series known will email me I'll 'snail mail' him a copy for a Board update. There are probably 50 or more letter-prefix serial numbers involved, a tad too many to list here.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
thorin6
Posted - 10/09/2006 : 6:17:04 PM
I was at my local gunsmith's shop today and he showed me a Type "I" rifle. It is a combination of Italian and Japanese construction, with a Carcano action and Mannlicher magazine. Trigger guard looks squarish. It's chambered for the 6.5 mm Japanese round. Looked it up in "Small Arms of the World" and another book, and the only real info was that the rifle was make in Italy by Berreta for the Japanese and resembles the M1891. The rifle is a Vet bring-back from the Marshall Islands by the owner's uncle. Barrel is deep blued and in great condition, as is the receiver and stock. It's missing the cleaning rod but otherwise complete. There are no marks on the rifle other than the S/N and a couple of 9s on the bottom of the receiver.
Three questions we are trying to get answered are:
Why did the Japanese have rifles made in Italy?
When were these rifles made?
How many were there (S/N was B6919)?
Unfortunately I didn't have a camera but if you have a copy of "Small Arms of the World" there is a picture of the rifle.
Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ronin48
Posted - 10/09/2006 : 7:40:31 PM
This topic covered in several books ranging from "Military Rifles of Japan," by Fred honeycutt to "The Carcano, by Dick Hobbs. Rifles were made in late 1930s, supposidly last bunch shipped to Japan by submarine in 42 (???) The SN was preceeded by a letter, A, B, etc. do not remember last reported letter, (someone will.)

Many were used by the Japanese navy and many went to China and were mixed with the 38s imported into the U. S. in the mid-80s. It would be greatly appreciated if you could get the rifle's SN and any more history, what island, etc.

I recently acquired one from Attu and Japanese records indicate there were a limited number on Iwo.

thorin6
Posted - 10/09/2006 : 8:34:00 PM
The S/N was B6919, and I will try to get a more exact location when I see the gunsmith again. Thanks for the information.
Also, the rifle had a full length stock, and the barrel in front of the front sight showed milling marks and was .016 inch smaller diameter than the barrel behind the front sight.

Ronin48
Posted - 10/10/2006 : 09:37:42 AM
Some books say Japanese shortened the stocks. One BANZAI (or Military Rifle Journal) member noted that under the butt palte, both long and shor had Italian prooofs (I've never checked), indicting different lengths made in Italy.

In an "American Rifleman" article a story on "Uberti" (sp.) the Italian maker of replica pistols and longarms (?) noted as a child he came home from school and "sanded Japanese rifle stocks." Apparently Italian arsenals 'farmed out' stock finishing to locals for pay or as their duty to El Duce!.

thorin6
Posted - 10/10/2006 : 4:58:36 PM
I asked the question on the island, and the answer was "Peleliu" which is not in the Marshalls but in the Palua Island chain. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.