Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my hands on a Type I I found on gunbroker. It's in okay shape, just needs a front sight and a screw for the butt plate and possibly the trigger guard). Do y'all know if the screws are interchangeable with a Type 38 Arisaka? I'd like to think they are but I'm not positive and am unable to check with anything currently.
I'll post pictures once its all cleaned up. Someone neglected it for many years seems like. Absolutely no oil on the bolt or any moving surface.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The triggerguard screws are different on the type I from the type 38. The butt plate screws on the type I has a larger head and is longer than the type 38.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The triggerguard screws are different on the type I from the type 38. The butt plate screws on the type I has a larger head and is longer than the type 38.
Damn. I'll try carcano butt plate screws. I'm just missing one. I have the triggerguard screw but its rusted in place and the previous owner seems to have nearly stripped the screw.

·
Registered
313 Posts
+1 Yes you are much better off with Carcano M1891 parts. I replaced butt plate screws and sling swivel screws and they are a perfect match. I suspect the TG screws are as well. They Italians did not reinvent the Type I. Where ever possible they used existing parts.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 Yes you are much better off with Carcano M1891 parts. I replaced butt plate screws and sling swivel screws and they are a perfect match. I suspect the TG screws are as well. They Italians did not reinvent the Type I. Where ever possible they used existing parts.
The bolt body is Type I only. The parts- extractor and internals exchange with a Carcano.
Thank you! The butt plate screws worked like a charm. Do you guys know if the carcano front sight base will work as well? Just bought one off of ebay and hoping I can work with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts