Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Diamond Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,
This documents a Type 99 with Concentric Circle markings for the new boards.
The rifle is from the Series 2 (ro) Tokyo Juki Kogyo, serial number 328.
I cannot tell if the Chrysanthemum was carefully removed or never stamped.
I see no evidence of a previous Chrysanthemum stamping beneath the circles.
Francis Allan, in his Concentric Circle Type 38 and Type 99 Rifle Identification Sheet, defines this as Variation "C".
White and Voigt, in Banzai Special Project #11, The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle, 2007:85, note "It has been theorized that these are ‘second’ class weapons, as many have parts stamped with a = in a circle. … It should be pointed out that the = in a circle is the kanji for four, so it still remains a mystery."
The rifle is all matching.
Q

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello Quigley :
Am glad that you mentioned the new 99 book, there are two ways of reading the 2 lines in the circle:
1) from the kana markings on page 8 the character " = " is ' ni ' and equals 4th Series.
2) but from page 9 of the ordinary kanji markings Character " = " is ' ni ' but it means
number 2 ( as in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. ).
Therefore the encircled ni is considered as second class and has nothing to do with the series numbers.
Vicasoto

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Victor san, I beg to differ, you don't have a leg to stand on! (a pun, my dear friend, a pun). While in certain cases the '=' in a circle may mean "second class" as de "Ole Massa" sez in MRoJ, there is no proof that any of the early CCs are of lesser quality than their mummed counterparts. The final 3K or so Kokura 99s are CCs and are equal in quality to the final rifles in the 25th series, does one set out to make a second class arm, and 3,000 at that? The real question is - Is it "2nd class" because it is not "first class" in quality or does "2nd class" have a different meaning?

Perhaps we are misconstruing the meaning of "2nd" class, could it mean "non-military rather than "of lesser quality?" Whatever the case, my mind's made up, so do not confuse me with the facts! Rodent 48

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Kokura did a very fine job on the CC rifle receivers. I do belive they had a mum and the recever was turned or polished off in a lathe then CC marked. I have rifle #145. I think that if you very closely inspect the receiver I beleive it once had a mum. Get a good magnifying glass and check it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts