Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a nice Nagoya 5th series at the show this weekend and found that the inside of the barrel had been opened up and threaded. I don't have a way to measure what the size of the bore is for sure, but with a 1/32 tape, it seems to be 11/32 in diameter. The base of the cut is smooth and looks slightly tapered into the chrome finish on the bore. The threads look quite fine and are in good shape === as they don't appear to have any fouling in them from shooting. It has a nice deep mum and all numbers but the bolt match with the receiver being 79112. Anyone tell me why the barrel would be threaded or for what device would fit it? I'm also looking to replace the bolt with one numbered 112 = anyone might have one of them? Oh, the threaded portion appears to be about 1/2" deep and then about 1/8" unthreaded to the base, before the rifling starts. Seems to be very well done and not the job of "Bubba"! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sorry about the quality of pics = I tried about 6 times and these were the best two.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Never seen that before! Looks like you're missing the nose cap for the upper band.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Perhaps the muzzle was damaged? Doesn't make much sense to thread it, hope it still shoots straight!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Sounds/looks like blank conversion. Restrictor/wad shredder is screwed in flush for movie work, reenactments, etc. Sometimes these are Re chambered in .30-06 to use the 1909 blank which will fit in the unmodified 7.7 magazine. JH

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Unless you got it dirt cheap or didn't see that prior to purchase why did you buy it? There are plenty of un-modified ones around. If a lamp rod threads in you better pull the stock off to check for a hole driiled in the barrel under the wood before you fire it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Unless you got it dirt cheap or didn't see that prior to purchase why did you buy it? There are plenty of un-modified ones around. If a lamp rod threads in you better pull the stock off to check for a hole driiled in the barrel under the wood before you fire it.
Roger that Big Ed. Just the mismatched bolt & missing nose cap would have made me walk on.

·
Silver Bullet member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys === I did a little further checking and find that a 3/8 NF bolt will thread into the muzzle about 3 threads and then binds up tight, and will wiggle until it reaches that point. so I think it is a metric thread. The thread condition is good as to not having any bad areas that I can see. Fred's suggestion about trying a lamp fitting got me going on that part and so I did find a lamp fitting and it did the same thing. I totally missed the threaded end when examining it, but knew about the nose cap and miss matched bolt and so got it for under 100, OTD, mainly because of the deep mum and great condition of the metal and stock. And of course the dealer did not point that out! I will see if I can't pick up a metric thread bolt and try it for fit ==== and if nothing else = I got parts !! I also picked up 2 others there during the day = one was Kukora 34th series with mum and matching, but short the cleaning rod, and another parts gun with a great stock -no bolt and no cleaning rod and no mum.
Thanks all for your ideas and comments. Gotta learn from the guys in the know!!!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Sounds/looks like blank conversion. Restrictor/wad shredder is screwed in flush for movie work, reenactments, etc. Sometimes these are Re chambered in .30-06 to use the 1909 blank which will fit in the unmodified 7.7 magazine. JH
A bolt rifle does not need a blank adaptor; the threaded muzzle and adaptors are to allow blanks to function gas operated semi or full auto weapons.

I think Fred is probably on the right track with the lamp conversion.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,237 Posts
I totally missed the threaded end when examining it, but knew about the nose cap and miss matched bolt and so got it for under 100, OTD, mainly because of the deep mum and great condition of the metal and stock. QUOTE]

Deep mum, great condition, under 100 otd! Zowie, I'll take all I can get at that price! And threads thrown in for free! What more can a guy ask for? It woulda been easy for me also to overlook the bore.

·
Silver Bullet member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought for sure Fred was right, but the lamp fitting will not go in over 3 threads, so I will check and see if it may be metric threads. And there are no other holes in the barrel or action as I took it out of the stock to see. Why I didn't see the threads when I saw that the nose cap was missing === blame it on poor eyesight I guess. Anyway it was my bad!! Think I will see about putting on another good barrel and make a shooter, but will try this one first as it is chrome and good and the threaded end will not affect it , I don't think.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
A bolt rifle does not need a blank adapter; the threaded muzzle and adapters are to allow blanks to function gas operated semi or full auto weapons.

I think Fred is probably on the right track with the lamp conversion.
The adapter on bolt rifles is to prevent high velocity gas or wadding from possibly injuring others. Standard in many/most older movie rental guns that used wadded or patched blanks. Newer style crimped blanks have removed the need for muzzle attachments except for function, though safe distance is still an issue without a gas diverter. I do know these and many other rifles were made into lamps and other fixures back in the day, a waste of guns! JH

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Last year I came upon a rifle that unbeknowing to me had been a lamp base. The wire for the lamp went down the barrel, hole drilled in the bottom of the chamber for the wire to go in a trenched slot back to one of the screws in the rear sling swivel and out the screw hole. The stock was hollowed out between the top and bottom tang. Only way I found this out was my curosity to take every rifle out of the stock. I would have suffered great harm had I shot it. You best examine that rifle carefully. riceone

·
Silver Bullet member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took your advise, Roy, and it is now out of the stock and laying in pieces on the bench. I did not find any other holes in the chamber or receiver and I wanted to be d*** sure it was OK before going any further with it. Thanks

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
Is there a chance it was counter-bored? I don't know the Japanese methods or markings for a counter-bored barrel - but here is a pic of of a Gew 98 of mine that is counterbored....
Metal Brass Copper Fastener

1 - 16 of 16 Posts