Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a somewhat generalized question, but I'm wondering about how the stocks were constructed - specifically two piece butt - were these actually just fit together and the fits are generally just so nice that they are tight, -OR- was some form of bonding agent actually used?? If not, is it just the metal sleeve for the tang screw that keeps the two pieces from moving front to rear relative to one another??

Asking because my Kokura 23rd is definitely loose from the rear to roughly 2/3rd the distance forward, but the two halves can be pressed together to make a nice, tight fit. I guess the concern is that the whole thing will become loose at some point....leave it alone, or is some sort of preemptive action needed to prevent further separation?

Something else I'm wondering about too, and I've only got the two I've disassmbled thus far as a basis of comparison. TK 31st and the Kokura 23rd - the 31st has a single "channel" cut into the stock where the rod passes (I don't mean the hole for the rod itself), otherwise it is mostly solid, whereas the 23rd has several channels. What might be the reasoning for the design difference? It doesn't seem like it'd be a significant weight saving measure. Better water drainage or barrel cooling??

·
Copper Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Leave it alone

I would leave the rifle the way it is....It is what it is. Things that are over 50 years old will never show the original fit and finish......That's my take. Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm more concerned with things going worse on me. I'm interested in preventing further degradation, if it could be considered that. Besides, I'm interested to know the details of the construction methods....anyone?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I don't know for sure whether they used any adhesive, but I kind of don't think so. I believe (dont know for sure) that the halves had an interference fit so they would not normally slide apart. If your 99 has the cupped buttplate, it will keep the halves from separating all the way. That is probably why the Japanese went to a cupped plate, to prevent the dovetail from splitting. If yours is loose, it may be from shrinkage or it may be that the dovetail is splitting from the lower half. Only way to know is pull the buttplate to see. You could put some sort of glue in the slot, but I highly DO NOT recommend it as it lowers the value and destroys originality. The cupped plate and rear action screw will keep it together. Just don't be buttstroking anyone!! :)

Remember, friends don't let friends vote Democrat. (This has been a Public Service Announcement)

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Japanese rifle collectors are a strange breed of milsurpus collectors. I only have one T99 that I got in and a sanded stock, so I put some finish on it to look an feel original and I couldnt care any less.

I say do a very good job of glueing it together. So good that no one can tell. Not for resale, but just to have a sound, and solid stock.

But if you are a fanatic about it being original leave it alone, or else it will always bother you.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dovetail isn't splitting - got the butt plate off and looks good from what I can tell, so it must be warping or shrinking. I might just leave as is, but if I do repair it, I'll use hide glue - reversible if need be and won't stain anything. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The whole idea of the two piece design was to strenthen the wood by having a biased grain in the toe versus the upper butt,over the years,some shrinkage is natural and as they age the slot becomes looser.on some guns its pretty noticable ,to down right sloppy (hmm I can see where this is gonna go ; ) ) . As for the way the stock channels are cut ,I cant prove why some series had them milled/inleted into pillars and some were solid ,I belive its for positive drainage,and once they did away with the drain holes it wasnt nessacary to inlet them anymore.however just cause I say it does not make it so, or even close.Its your gun if you want to put some glue or filler in ,to snug it up go for it,if done right it wont show anyway and doesnt hurt anything,better than having it seperate when your using it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts