Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents!
The final addition to my "tiny" WWII Collection is a Type 99 Series 2 Nagoya (w/mum, AA, and matching#'s)

My question is, should I try to "steam out" some of the bumps and bruises on this "Old Warrior" or is it best to just "clean it up" and enjoy it for what it is; "warts and all"?
Is this a common practice among the Collectors of this Forum, or a historical taboo?

As long as I do not sand or re-finish the stock, I know it's everyone's opinion...and I will consider them all.

What is the best conditioner for the very soft, thin and pliable rifle sling?

With the Colt's, Winchester's, K98's and Enfields I've "adopted", I generally perform what I like to call a "historical restoration"; bringing the metal and furniture to the most original and best appearing state based on what I have before me...with the belief..."FIRST...DO NO HARM"...

I welcome all comments and opinions. I am eager to learn more about the "care and feeding" of the Type 99
all the best!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,636 Posts
Ron,
Please email or pm me so I can send the book details to you.

As for your 99, If the finish is intact, I don't think steaming would help much, and may in fact discolor or otherwise cause a problem

Most of us just leave the wood alone, after giving it a gentle clean with a damp cloth.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Urushi is a good sealer to keep moisture out thats why they used it. I'd leave it alone. No sense making a mess. Its a battle rifle and its dents are part of its history IMHO.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gents!
The stock has no splits or cracks, never sanded and it appears to have it's original finish.
I'll just give it a good cleaning and it's "ready to rattle in battle"!
I appreciate the honesty and sincerity of your comments.
all the best!
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts