Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Japanese type 99 sniper today at a small gunsmiths. It came from a local estate.

The good? Stock is very nice. Bore is excellent, shines like a new penny. Has the mount still on the side of the rifle. Big nice mum with three small bayonet strikes on it.

The bad: No scope or rings. Rifle was mounted on the wall near or over a fireplace for years. So it has a "small" rust problem.

The ugly: Well, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.....

Anyone got any ideas on how to best remove the rust? I have used penetrating oil and a green pad before to remove rust with good effect, but not sure about this one.

Suggestions gladly taken!

Also posted on the Sniper rifle forum.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Neat find, But wow, the condition..personally Id sandblast/beadblast it then buff out the worst of the pitting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks as though you have some problems, however, you know that. Sorry not much help here. Get some Gun Scrubbers and Marvel Lubricating Oil. Oh yes, use a lot of elbow grease. Good luck.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,269 Posts
You Have To Use Glass Beads If You Go The Blasting Routine ...

I Would Start With Disassembly, Some Kroll Oil (i Think 03 Recommended That Too Me And It Is Good Stuff) And 000 Steel Wool..then Re-access The Condition..you May Be Surprised...it Is Definaely Worth Saving And Restoring So Be Precise...i Think You Will Be Surprised...

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
A real project.

Wow, what a case of neglect! Wood looks nice though.

I don't think you can do much to improve the metal, I would have it bead blasted for sure.
They maybe a little draw filing on the worst spots, followed by a wire wheel to smooth the finish out. Replace that rear sight, I suspect it is hopeless.

Worth some effort but it will never be a silk purse, but better than the sou's ear it is now.

Keep us posted with some updates along the way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't know which parts are unique to a sniper or which small parts are #'d to a receiver but you may be able to find the correct parts and build it up. Lots of people have started with a Garand receiver and done just that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sadly, the bluing underneath the wood is perfect! Some small parts will be swapped out, looks like Springfield Sporters will have most of the parts that I need.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Restoring a Sniper

It it were mine I would replace the barrel and sights, replace lower metal including trigger. Take the scope base off and draw file it till the pits are gone. Replace the bolt release. I don't see a bolt so I would get one from Don. Now all the rust and pitting you have to deal with is on the receiver itself. riceone.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
You'l never get the pits out short of buffing/grinding beyond their depth, eliminating the numbers and the floral design in the process.
At least it's not a lamp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have the original bolt. I will keep the barrel, rust on reciever for some reason is not as bad. Probably replace the rear sight and a few other pieces. I will post pics up throughout the process. It was so cheap I could not pass it up, besides being the only T99 sniper i have seen. Should be a good winter project. I think on some of the small parts I will try the reverse electrolyosis process and see how it turns out.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,269 Posts
This Is All So Exciting......(yep ..i Lead A Boring Life///////) Keep Posting The Photos...save All The Parts Numbered To The Rifle....i Am Dying To See It When You Are Done...

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
I apologize in advance to those I am about to insult....BUT....

ARE YOU PEOPLE #&$#@ IDIOTS???????

Bead blasting....electrolysis.....swapping parts? Why not just sporterize it? Why not polyurithane the stock and chrome plate it!!!!!!!!!

Don't be giving a person advice to permanently alter a rifle with bead blasting, files, and wire wheels without first advising them to go slowly and carefully with less harsh methods!!!!

The first step is 0000 steel or bronze wool with oil, and slowly scrubbing the rusty areas. See what conditions are under that rust before getting all draw file, Buffing and wire wheel happy!

Even a pitted original rifle is of more interest and value than a Frankenstien abortion made up from mixed parts!!!! Leave the *#$^%& original parts with this rifle!!!!!!! If you are going to parts swap then you are no better than the guy making the fake 30-06 Arisaka's! Do no harm, and make no modifications or upgrades to this historic weapon!!!!!

The picture below shows what can be done with 0000 wool and oil and a slow careful hand.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Even a pitted original rifle is of more interest and value than a Frankenstien abortion made up from mixed parts!!!! Leave the *#$^%& original parts with this rifle!!!!!!! If you are going to parts swap then you are no better than the guy making the fake 30-06 Arisaka's! Do no harm, and make no modifications or upgrades to this historic weapon!!!!!
I couldn't agree more!!! Jon

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
One would assume that any radical steps suggested were for after the basic inspection and clean up and applied to only real FUBAR parts, or was that so lodgical a step it really needed included...You aint fixing all that pitting with oil, and a bit of 0000 wool...respectfully, yer full a bullsh*t if you think you are...the finish looks pretty done in and unless all the rust is gotten out clear to the core it just re-rusts..Ive fixed up some real dogs,but you just aint fixing those deep pits without buffing,And after its buffed its still original,unless you dont think it was buffed smooth when they built the danged thing.No similarity to the fakes and frankenguns.Only non salvagable part really looks to be the rear sight, and It should be replaced, from its appearence,with a correct original..Its completely useless as is,its still a historic rifle once its rerstored...why on earth would anyone want to leave it in that state of ruin? However the first step is to soak it in oil and using some steel/brass woll and brass brushes see how much of that nasty stuff is rust and how much is caked on cresote from the fireplace along with smoke,and dust, it May not be as bad after its clean. Nobody meant to suggest going straight to extremes ,before doing basic clean-up, however parts like the scope base has to be smooth and issue free for the scope to go on so if that is all pitting its going to eventualy need repaired to be functional, and to be right all the metal thats pited should be resmoothed ,without damaging any markings of course.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wouldn't do anything to it either, other than light cleaning to remove surface rust, but without buffing or wire wheeling.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Everyone has an opinion

Bill in Indiana,
We aren't idiots. That rifle was done in by neglect. Nothing short of sawing it up would do further damage to it.

The owner can do what he will, but he will not be destroying any history in his attempt to stop the detrioration, IMO.

If it were a rare piece, you might have a point; but it is a rust bucket and needs drastic attention, again IMO. It certainly could be left as is, as an expample of what not to do with a rifle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,first pick up a (fine small wire bush) from ace,try it with some wd-40 by hand to remove
the heavy rust off all the parts and see what you have going on, may not by that bad.
I have clean up some that were just as rusted as your rifle, they came out not to bad.

Good luck.

frank.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts