Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I would like opinions on this Type 99 sniper please. Would like to hear what people think of it's collectability. Clearly many of the screws have been messed with. This isn't a restoration is it? Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Note: The receiver bridge has the NA stamp faintly stamped on the right. Not sure what the marking is before 733. Maybe a inspection stamp? Or an 8?

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Wood Trigger Wood stain Air gun Hardwood
With all the screw damage it’s conceivable that the original stock was screwed with and someone bought a mismatched gun and swapped out the stocks. That the “crud” line on the action doesn’t match up with the line on the stock is strange. Usually you don’t get ledge shaped build up unless there is a ledge there, like a stock. The nose cap also looks like someone removed wood to make it fit, or just pounded it into place because it was snug.

Or someone just cleaned it in some ham handed weird way.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
View attachment 3886033 With all the screw damage it’s conceivable that the original stock was screwed with and someone bought a mismatched gun and swapped out the stocks. That the “crud” line on the action doesn’t match up with the line on the stock is strange. Usually you don’t get ledge shaped build up unless there is a ledge there, like a stock. The nose cap also looks like someone removed wood to make it fit, or just pounded it into place because it was snug.

Or someone just cleaned it in some ham handed weird way.
Or possibly when the stock was removed the old grease along the top of the wood broke away.

Everything looks good to me. Inletting looks factory and I don't know where you would find another 99 sniper stock.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dang, that is a hell of a nice sniper. Do not be concerned friend, that thing is a beauty. Mum looks very lightly defaced but hardly. Even if, no big deal at all. That thing is in superb condition. Color me jealous

Hell, I say that thing would be perfect even if the mum was ground off.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Whoever owns the 99 Nagoya sniper with the incorrect and highly suspicious monopod rear band

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Or possibly when the stock was removed the old grease along the top of the wood broke away.

Everything looks good to me. Inletting looks factory and I don't know where you would find another 99 sniper stock.

I had a Type 97 that someone had bought for its stock, stripped it off, and then swapped it out for the one on their nicer rifle. When the 97 was sold on to me it was sitting in a poorly notched out stock. So the gun had been ground, had a straight bolt, a bad bore and the improper stock.

I’m suggesting that this one received the good stock.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
She looks ok to me......

Looks like parts were swapped over the last 75 plus years, but I am sure that is bound to happen.....

In todays world try to go out and upgrade that rifle.......Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Early ones can have monopod bands. I don't think they ever had monopods installed though.

Only Kokura type 99 snipers had monopods. No Nagoya , early or otherwise had monopod bands

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,191 Posts
I once had Nagoya #43. No monopod band

Reactions: Jareth

·
Registered
82 Posts
Plus this one is #9739, so a very late example, definitely not an early one.

But, are we sure earlier left-over parts occasionally not show up time to time later in the war ?
Just curious.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This sort of reasoning is like playing with a hand grenade. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard “well, it was late in the war, and this stuff happened,” I’d be rich. This is the line that forgers often kick out to support their turds.

The Japanese were, if nothing else, organized and efficient. This is why we can graph the trends in their production by series and feature. Unless there are other authentic examples of late snipers With early bands, I think it’s a no.

It already has buggered screws, a shoe horned stock and the wrong bands. The more excuses that you have to make for a rifle, the further away you need to keep your money.
The Sniper with the monopod band is not the same one as the OP's with the stock dings you mentioned. The OP's has a correct late war non-monopod band.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts