Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My brother and I acquired a Japanese Type 99 Short Rifle and have a few questions regarding this really cool and interesting firearm. First, here's a little information I was able to dig online with some research. I now know it's a Toyo Kogyo 31st Series with a serial number inside the 8,000 range. It's missing all the goodies like the monopod, anti-aircraft wings and dust cover which leads me to my first question. Would this rifle have been equipped with these features?

I do think it's an all matching gun but I would like to confirm this. The parts I matched to the last 3 digits on the receiver is the bayonet lug, bolt and safety. The extractor and firing pin are not numbered. Is this period and maker correct for this particular rifle?

Any input would help. Thank you everyone for your time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you, John! Unfortunately no, I'm missing the cleaning rod goodie too. Still having my fingers crossed for the numbers matching though :) . Another cool thing I noticed is that the trigger guard screws are staked and unturned, allowing me to believe the internal components are original to the rifle. These guns are super neat.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
To get a really honest evaluation on the Arisaka, Images are a must. All markings on receiver, magazine base, front lug, barrel assembly, front sight assembly, and any markings on the stock, plus images of the complete stock. This way everyone can see exactly what you have and can give you factual information.
Images, ilages, and images.
kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Series 31's would be considered an early rifle. As such. It would have all the items you are missing. The bayonet stud will be numbered in line with the barrel. That was later changed to the more familiar horizontal numbering. Please post more pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bayonet stud is numbered in line with the barrel. Very cool how small things were changed in different time periods. I would love to post pictures but for personal reasons I'm going to respectfully pass. Does anyone know if the early produced rifles of the 31st series excluded numbers on the firing pin and extractor? My receivers SN is within the 8,000 range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi Paul. On our particular rifle, there are Toyo Kogyo markings found behind the bolt handle root. We found the same markings on the underside of the extractor and the side of the firing pin's engagement surface close to where the sear contacts (I got the idea from a helpful member online. Thanks again!). You could check these points or nearby areas and if the markings are there and happen to match it's a good chance these parts were original to your rifle. In our case, we have an early production 31st series rifle (8,000 range) where I've read that Toyo Kogyo did not number these two components then until a certain point afterwards in the series. I also found auction examples online that are the same way to verify. So I think we figured out our puzzle piece. :)

It's worth noting though that I did find an example in this forum falling inside the 42,000 range and the extractor and firing pin are numbered.

However, don't give up. It's still possible your parts could be original. Check for markings that match in these areas if there are any. Also, to be honest I think yours might be original especially since the safety is matching. The safety would have been lost if it was a parts rifle (considering how the bolt is held together and assembled). The firing pin is housed within, and if it's not numbered, it's a good chance both these components were fitted to the bolt and are original.

Let us know what you find and good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi everyone. My brother and I acquired a Japanese Type 99 Short Rifle and have a few questions regarding this really cool and interesting firearm. First, here's a little information I was able to dig online with some research. I now know it's a Toyo Kogyo 31st Series with a serial number inside the 8,000 range. It's missing all the goodies like the monopod, anti-aircraft wings and dust cover which leads me to my first question. Would this rifle have been equipped with these features?

I do think it's an all matching gun but I would like to confirm this. The parts I matched to the last 3 digits on the receiver is the bayonet lug, bolt and safety. The extractor and firing pin are not numbered. Is this period and maker correct for this particular rifle?

Any input would help. Thank you everyone for your time!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just checked my Toyo Kogyo Series 31 and the serial number is quite a bit lower then I thought...It's...28438...The...438...On the bayonet lug is in line with the barrel...I need to buy a copy of the don voigt book...I never know if his last name is spelled like the actor jon voigt???

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
If you firing pin and extractor are un numbered they will still be marked with a "hiro" proof mark. This is a factory acceptance stamp. It is exactly like one of two that are stamped on the stock of your rifle. You may need a magnifying glass to see it on the smaller parts. I'm sure somebody will post a picture of that proof mark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.