Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chance to try a couple of my friend's Type 99 rifles today - a standard short rifle and a T-2 Paratrooper rifle. Both are in unissued condition with very nice triggers. I test fired them at 100 yards using Hornady 7.7mm Japanese ammunition.........and was very surprised.

I fired three, five shot groups with each from a sandbag rest, using a six o'clock hold on the targets. The T99 went 3", 3.125" and 3.5".....the T2 went 2.875" and 3" (twice).

A few weeks ago I test fired a used, but not abused, T38 with Hornady ammo and got groups of 2", 2.5" and 2.75". While I've not had a lot of experience with Arisakas until recently and while I'm not sure if it's the rifles or the ammo (or a combination?) I must admit I am very impressed with their performance. All shot better than a mint condition Kar. 98k Mauser and No. 1 Mk. III* Lee-Enfield I was also testing.

Of course, none of the above can out perform my beloved Krags........but that's another story.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
And just how 'good' is a Krag?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My M98 Krag rifle will consistently shoot sub-2" groups from a rest at 100 yards and my M96 carbine will do almost as well. This is with Remchester 180 gr. commercial ammo.

·
Registered
708 Posts
" None can out perform my Krags" A silly statement from a Novice shooter, based on only 3 groups with only 2 different barrowed rifles , with only 1 load tried. I have seen many of your "shooting tests" in print, your groups are about 200 to 300 % larger than most of the groups shot in local military rifle shooting matches, a lot of times you use the wrong ammo for the rifle being shot, or only count 5 out of a herd. I will shoot an as-issued T-38 rifle against you and any of your as-issued Krags for $100.00 a 100 yard , 5-shot target for score for as long as your $ holds out. I will show you how you get "out performed " . mag

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mag - I'm sorry you don't care for my writing. If you can do betther, why then just write your own articles so as to enlighten the rest of us. I'll look forward to seeing them in print.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
Mag - I'm sorry you don't care for my writing. If you can do betther, why then just write your own articles so as to enlighten the rest of us. I'll look forward to seeing them in print.

Peace.
I think a very good answer and I await to see Mag's results shared with the world in print. ;)

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dieter - no dings, chips, scratches on the wood and no wear at all on the metal parts; chrome plated bores and bolt faces. Both are 100% complete and correct in all respects including slings (according to Honeycutt's book). I have seen many Arisakas over the years and these are the two prettiest I've seen.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They were loaned to me by a member of Banzai who told me that they have the original finish. I have known this gentleman for almost 20 years and I can assure you, if he says it.....you can take it to the bank. BTW, the short rifle is unground but the T2 has been ground.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think a very good answer and I await to see Mag's results shared with the world in print. ;)
I have had articles printed in several magazines. I DID share the results of 1000's of rounds test fired in 100's of Arisaka rifles in the two reloading sticky posts on THIS board. I do have a 500 page book covering 10,000's of 5 shot groups shot out of 1000's of different military rifles. AND I still will shoot my T-38 rifles against his Krag rifles to back up what I said. mag

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
count me in too. i would love to see the results, but i doubt i will have time to read over 10s of thousands of rounds from 100s of different military rifles. are these coming from type 38 longs, shorts, carbines, type 99 longs, and shorts, type 2s, type 97s and 99 snipers, type 44s, type 30 long and carbines, and type 35s? or is it just a sample of one "as-issued" rifle?

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
More of the same!

Hello Mag,

It's been a while! It's also nice to know that like death and taxes, some things never change. Per Tuco’s suggestion, I would LOVE to see the articles that you have written. Please enlighten us!

Perhaps you have written one or two on the Gew 88/14? We went round and round on the original thread on the Mannlicher Forum where I posted photos of the rifle I had just acquired. You challenged my knowledge along with everyone else’s that commented in that thread. You challenged Gotz, the only modern author up until that time who had anything in print about the Gew 88/14, until of course Paul wrote his excellent work on the Gew 88 which included a section on the Gew 88/14 and photos of the rifle in my collection.

Guess what! You were wrong. The small arms curator and expert on German Imperial era firearms, Dr. Dieter Storz, who works at the ONLY museum in Europe that has confirmed example of the Gew 88/14 confirmed that my rifle was in fact a Gew 88/14. How does this ancient history have any bearing on this discussion you may ask?

The problem is Mag, that you spend lots of time spouting off about what you have accomplished backed up by reams of data that nobody save you, has ever seen? This in itself might be taken at face value were it not for the tactless manner in which you present everything. Your arguments are always based on challenging or someone else rather than as straight forward discussion.

Please do list the articles you have written and the magazines and dates of the issues in which these articles have appeared? Written any books? Who published them?

In addition, based on your shooting ability, please list the national titles you have won at Camp Perry.....How about at Quantico?......Camp Pendleton perhaps? What years were you on the US Olympic Shooting Team?

The most disconcerting aspect of all of this, at least in my opinion, is that whatever valuable information you may have actually gained along the way, is forever clouded in bullshit!

You claimed to have an unknown printed copy of an Imperial era document covering the Gew 88 series of rifles that you mentioned in the thread on the Gew 88/14. Guess what! You never published it, produced it, provided any information what so ever that would confirm its existence. Somehow I think that these "articles" you have written fall in the same category as the Gew 88 document.

Please by all means make me eat my words! Make me wrong! Please provide us with a comprehensive list of your publications! With the internet search engines being as good as they are these days, I am certain we can find at least some of them. Most if not all of my articles can be found on the web through a Google search. I'll bet yours are out there somewhere too! (HUGE GRIN!)

Just my $ .02 worth based on a loooooooong history of reading your posts.

Respectfully submitted,

JPS

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I usually dont wade into a fight I aint got a dog in, but I have used re-loading data posted by MAG for several rifles, Including several loads and load improvements for the T38 and T99 and his info always is spot on when I run them thru my test rifles and chrono, And while someone may be able to BS a bit about knowledge,making up a set of load data and having it actually be accurate is nigh onto impossible. 3" groups at 100 dont impress me much with a t99 ,at 100 your too close for the lousy rear sight to be a real issue,all you have to do is hold point of aim and let the rifle do the rest (and the t-99 will group far tighter than that)..as for the t-38 vs the Krag, at 100 they'll both shoot damn fine, the t-38 would have a bit of and edge at 200 or 300.Not to fault the 1898 US krag, I like em, beautiful guns and sweet to shoot,but the 6.5x50 is simply superior to the 30-40 govt as a round. The T38 should shoot tighter than 2" at 100 also by the way,tho offhand that wouldnt be bad.With due respect I also feel an attack on a member this way by moderators is poor form gentlemen!!! Dave

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Nice to know that Rick the Librarian reads these forums too. Welcome.

I've been debating with myself about these near flames. Slack off a little please.

It is fairly common knowlege that the Krag is not an especially accurate rifle, single front locking lug and all. Individual ability has much to do with what has been demonstrated and written; as do the loads employed in the rifles used.

Publication adds little to the credence of the data, IMHO; and I feel, should not enter into the equation.

There is plenty of room here for opinion; Mag has been a long time contributor to these Japanese forums and is appreciated here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.