Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I don't know much about Japanese rifles, but I pulled mine out of the closet to see what production it was and what type. It looks to be a Nagoya 2nd series with a 20,000 serial number range all matching except for the bayo lug, which is 25 numbers off. I don't know how that happened. It doesn't have the AA sights or the monopod. With this being a low series number, is it worth anything? Thanks for your help!!

Chad

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Pictures will help. It's odd that the bayonet mount is mis-matched? Is the front sight retaining pin disturbed? On these early rifles it should be nearly impossible to see anything but a small ring around the pin. I don't add a premium for low numbers unless single digit rifles. After all they had to start somewhere and each number wether one digit or 5digits is unique. But with only 9 single digit rifles per series they are rare.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures will help. It's odd that the bayonet mount is mis-matched? Is the front sight retaining pin disturbed? On these early rifles it should be nearly impossible to see anything but a small ring around the pin. I don't add a premium for low numbers unless single digit rifles. After all they had to start somewhere and each number wether one digit or 5digits is unique. But with only 9 single digit rifles per series they are rare.
Big Ed

Thanks for the reply. I don't see what you are talking about when you say front sight pin. I don't see a pin anywhere on the front sight.
Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Chad,
On th side of the front sight base there is a pin that goes through the base to hold it on the barrel. It's good that you can't see it. What that means is the front sight base has not been disturbed. It does not explain why the front band is not matching though? If you can add some pictures of the rifle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Ed

I will post some pics as soon as I can. I just noticed something, though. Looking at some pics of other rifles, I noticed that the front sight guards have been grinded down. Why in the heck would someone do that?

Chad

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Early type 99's had 1 5/16" sight guards. Later rifles had 1 1/4" sight guards. Early rifles with the taller guards it is impossible to change the front band unless you remove the front sight assembly to get the front band off. That's why I asked about the front sight pin being tampered with. The later rifles the front band can be removed without the front sight being disturbed. So now we know somebody monkyed with the rifle at some point in time.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Big Ed

I will post some pics as soon as I can. I just noticed something, though. Looking at some pics of other rifles, I noticed that the front sight guards have been grinded down. Why in the heck would someone do that?

Chad
So they could get the front band off, or a different one on; explains why it is mis-matched.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts