Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, many years ago I was on business trip in Houston which coincided with a local gun show date. I only had a couple hours to kill but was able to purchase an original Type 99 monopod; I have an early Type 99 with obvious monopod markings/scratches on the stock. I threw the monopod on my parts bin and after a couple of weeks of "I'll put it on tomorrow", I completely forgot about it.

I "found" it yesterday and attempted to install but here is where I need help. The Monopod came with the band so I either need to remove the front sight base in order to remove the nose cap or I have to drive out the pin that attaches the monopod to the band.

I attempted to drive out the pin last night but it wouldn't budge; I really didn't want to start hammering the pin either for the risk of damage.

Any pointers or guidance you could provide? TIA

·
Registered
152 Posts
Unless it's a really early rifle, you should be about to change the entire band without removing the front sight. The front band has a nose cap/insert that comes out. Then you rotate the front band upside down and it will slide off. I would probably install just the monopod though, if possible.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Good advice from FreeFall. Rifles with the taller front sight ears have to be removed to get the bands off. Maybe look at just removing the monopod pin if you can’t swap out the entire assembly. There is a position that will put less pressure on the pin, about 45 degrees between locked/deployed and it should make it easier to come out. kroil is your friend as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! Here is what my nose cap looks like:

Material property Household hardware Magenta Electric blue Auto part

Can you punch out the front plate or is it welded on?

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yep the nosecap and front plate are two separate pieces. It's held by the front screws in the nosecap, so if you remove those it should come free with some encouragement.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it looks like I have an early Arisaka with the tall front sights. Looks like I'll have take another shot at removing the pin.

Hand Gesture Finger Font Art
Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Digital camera

1 - 6 of 6 Posts