Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I may have a lead on a Howa Jyuko 9th series that from my research is transitional and not subsitute. The mum has been scrubbed. It appears as though this is a pretty uncommon rifle. I'm just getting into these and reading the type 99 book I picked up on here by Don Voigt. I'm assuming from the numbers even one with a scrubbed mum is a good find?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
tomdennys2,

Any Howa is a good find, but are you referencing the earliest examples that still used an adjustable sight? If so, yes! They are quite rare. Only the first 2,000 or so will have that. Many use earlier stocks with the drain holes/long cleaning rod retainer filled in. I lucked out on this example for cheap a few summers ago. Someone converted it to 30-06, but thankfully left the rest alone.

The Howa's start at serial number 50,000.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm working on pics. I may be wrong, it may be the substitute rifle as I don't know the bolt handles real well yet. I haven't seen the sights yet. The serial number is in the 55,000 range.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
The defaced Mum is a part of the T-99's history, sounds like a great first T-99 to me, don't forget to show & tell if you pick it up!(y)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Conrad, did you get that bolt handle straightened? Roy Boone? It looks funky
Yes I did John. I forgot I never took new photos of that rifle afterwards. He did a good job with it. Here it is fixed up.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I actually picked up a Howa Jukogyo from Liberty Tree Collectors not too long ago, and got it for about $480 inc. Shipping. Mum was ground, but it had a mismatched bolt which looked like it was rushed, but still looks like an early-mid war bolt.

Only the first 2,000 or so will have that. Many use earlier stocks with the drain holes/long cleaning rod retainer filled in. I lucked out on this example for cheap a few summers ago. Someone converted it to 30-06, but thankfully left the rest alone.

The Howa's start at serial number 50,000.
Dang, looks like my Howa just missed the cutoff for utilizing mid-late war parts and transitioned to late war-last ditch variations haha. Mine is 52246.

But yeah, would love to see pics of your Howa Type 99 when it comes in Tom!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts