Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you just sweat it off, or is there a pin somewhere ?????

I found out you cant get the front barrel band past the front sight without removing the sight, correct me if I am wrong and thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Why do you want to remove the front sight? It is not a project to be undertaken lightly. There is a tapered pin that must be removed. If you cannot get the front barrel band over the front sight, then the sight must be removed. Again, why do you wish to remove the sight?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rentprop, Front sight on type 99`s is pinned on,NOT sweated on.Removing pin to take
front sight off can be done but tricky at best.Your type 99 happens to have the Tall
front sight protective ears.Mine doesn`t.Besides stock replacement,why do you want to
remove the front barrel band?

Charlie

·
Silver Bullet member
15,678 Posts
It can be done, but usually leaves a messy job. Pin is almost always destroyed, sight is marked. Need to fit a new taper pin, file both sides and refinish.

Like Garfield said, best to leave it alone, unless there is an overpowering need to remove it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
stock replacment, someone sporterized a beautiful 99, almost 95 % with intact mum and air craft sights, and I got another 99 with a nice stock with the mono pod, but has a ground mum and and no air sights, thought of swaping them out

WHERE IS THE PIN LOCATED ?? I did not see one that why I thought it was sweat off ?

ETA : both guns have tall ears on the sight, hence the band not passing over it

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Only the extremely early ones require removing the sight to remove the front band, most of the later-early rifles (that doesnt make sense) you just have to hold your mouth right to slip it past, sometimes turning it upside down works. If you have the early type that wont fit, and Im assuming your just trying to get the replacement band on (cause it your sporter had its original band it wouldnt be an issue) you can carefully excise some metal off the interior edges of the new band to allow it to clear ,Before the purists start howling, its gonna be mismatched anyway,and you cant see the removed metal,..other wise good luck with that nasty ,hateful pin, and the sights are a beast even after the pins out,I think RCB posted how to do it awhile back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts