Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently obtained an "attic find" Type 99, and am in the process of replacing some of the missing parts. I am somewhat stumped over the cleaning rod. I have several early war Type 99's, and each of those have a somewhat lengthly cleaning rod. However, this stock channel for the cleaning rod on the this rifle is only a couple of inches in length. The channel ends at a metal piece in the stock that passes completely through the stock from top to bottom. On ebay, I have noticed very short cleaning rods being auctioned that appear to be under five inches. I am no expert on Type 99's but I am sure that that there is someone out there that can inform me about cleaning rod lengths on Type 99's.

· Registered
1,543 Posts
is the cleaning rod release round?
if it is then a short screw in rod is used
there is a short push in rod that was used in 1or 2 series that is an exception. (very rare)

some series do not have things like aircraft wings ,dust covers, knurled safeties, monopods, or plum shaped bolt handles.
adding these to rifles that never had them lowers the value imho.
check your series before adding missing parts.

· Administrator
10,476 Posts
The later T99s had no "Cleaning rod" but a 5 inch "Stacking rod", which screwed into a ROUND Plug in the fore-end...The early T99s with a full cleaning rod (unthreaded) was Locked in by a SQUARE Push Button in the fore-end.

AV Ballistics is currently CNC'ing a batch of both types of rods (Cleaning AND Stacking) and they should be ready by June.

Doc AV

· Silver Bullet member
857 Posts
There is even a difference in rod diameter among the short ones, depending upon manufacturer.

From Don's book "The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle, page 43:

Starting with Nagoya 5th series a short Type B rod was used, and it had a lower shaft diameter of 1/4".
When the Toyo Kogyo rifles made the switch to a short Type B rod, the lower shaft diameter on theirs was approximately 3/16". Both of these rods are slightly less than 5" in length.

As mentioned earlier, Kokura series 23 and 24 rifles used a 5.5" "push in rod".

Arsenal, series and serial number will help narrow down which rod would be correct for your rifle.

· Platinum Bullet member
19,455 Posts
The later T99s had no "Cleaning rod" but a 5 inch "Stacking rod", which screwed into a ROUND Plug in the fore-end...
Doc AV
The short rods actually are cleaning rods. The hole in them was meant to be used with a string and patch for a "drop through" cleaning tool.

· Silver Bullet member
15,806 Posts
Member Don Schlickmann makes very good repros of all the different Arisaka rods, and they don't have to come from Australia-just Iowa.
Email Don at:
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.